Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

1st time Bartlein barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: 1st time Bartlein barrel

Pardon me, but I was under the impression that you were indicating the ID of the bore.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Nah Eddie, Since all my setups end up being made on the O.D., I just needed to know where the O.D. was in relation to the bore. If they are concentric at the breech and muzzle, setups on the O.D. will be accurate for the tenon, chamber, and crown.

Hired Gun, I work in the chuck or in the steady rest, and 40 rpm to 63 rpm parting off, threading and chambering, and up to 400 rpm turning and facing with carbide tools (on barrel diameter work). I have spun a 31" finished length heavy varmint barrel at 400 rpm to semi polish it. I expected the .0075" runout to shake, so I worked up to 400 rpm in steps. No sweat. I'm not sure why it didn't vibrate, but it didn't. My lathe is a 13" swing x 72" between centers, and weighs about 2500 lbs. Maybe that helps, but probably .0075" just doesn't generate enough moment to shake a stiff barrel. I have run a 20" hvy barrel at 1000 rpm, also working up in stages. They polish better at the higher speeds. But even staging up, there is a pucker factor at 600 rpm or above. I wouldn't want to get hit by one that flew out, so I nearly always settle for 400 rpm max.

I have a healthy respect for my lathe. I figure if I screw up, it'll beat me to death, or dismember me, or both. Keeps me on my toes.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Seven thousandths at home in the middle shouldn't be a big deal even at 2000 rpm. What I was getting is at 5000 rpm it I think the guy contouring it would have felt it and rejected it. Maybe not. I never check the outside. I work off the bore, one end at a time.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.