Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

0.001 dial indicator for barrel set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

0.001 dial indicator for barrel set up

Would a 0.001 dial indicator be accurate enough for setting up a barrel in the lathe for threading and chambering? Thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: 0.001 dial indicator for barrel set up

I have seen quite a few smiths that talk in the ten thousandths not thousands when it
comes to barrels. As do most of the barrel manufacturers.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Hunter View Post
Would a 0.001 dial indicator be accurate enough for setting up a barrel in the lathe for threading and chambering? Thanks
I would recomend a .0005 to .00010 Indicator for precision work.

A .001 indicator would probably work if you could hold all readings below the .001 mark to .000.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I have seen quite a few smiths that talk in the ten thousandths not thousands when it
comes to barrels. As do most of the barrel manufacturers.
Barrel making and chambering are two different things. You can make do with a .001 grad indicator, just make sure when ya' call it good, that the needle doesn't move barely at all. Most manual lathes used for chambering are going to have .001 to .0005" of spindle play. If you tighten the bearings more than that don't turn very fast for very long as you must take into account the heat expansion that will result ( I use my lathe for much more than just chambering. Many tools are made there, too). It's all in the set-up. Warm your lathe up before putting a barrel in to dial it in. As long as the indicator is quality made, Starrett, Federal, ect., ect., take your time dialing in so there is no movement of the pointer, you'll be OK. I read lots about working to 4 and 5 places to the right of the decimal point. I've worked in the machining business since '74, few manual machines are capable (accept tool and cutter grinders) even fewer operators are. Manual lathes that are capable are usually far out of reach, dollar wize, for most.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

if you gotta get by with a .001" dial indicator, make sure you use a wand type. The big gear and rack ones are border line junk when it comes to being precise. Years ago they did make a jewled gear rack indicator that was certified for 3% lag. The normal gear and rack type have about 10% lag in them. Most folks could get by with a good B&S "Last Word" indicator for 85% of their work, and never look down on a GEM. I prefer Interrapids for their zero lag, and of them (I think I own six) I like the .0005" best. Brown & Sharpe sells a similar one, and it's a very good one as well. Avoid the Chinese built ones as they are not even up to junk statis
gary
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Barrel making and chambering are two different things. You can make do with a .001 grad indicator, just make sure when ya' call it good, that the needle doesn't move barely at all. Most manual lathes used for chambering are going to have .001 to .0005" of spindle play. If you tighten the bearings more than that don't turn very fast for very long as you must take into account the heat expansion that will result ( I use my lathe for much more than just chambering. Many tools are made there, too). It's all in the set-up. Warm your lathe up before putting a barrel in to dial it in. As long as the indicator is quality made, Starrett, Federal, ect., ect., take your time dialing in so there is no movement of the pointer, you'll be OK. I read lots about working to 4 and 5 places to the right of the decimal point. I've worked in the machining business since '74, few manual machines are capable (accept tool and cutter grinders) even fewer operators are. Manual lathes that are capable are usually far out of reach, dollar wize, for most.
a good rule of the thumb is that a precision tool room manual lathe is good for about .0005". I've seen a couple small Hardinghs that would do .0003" day in and day out, but's that's not a common thing. The spindle line alone won't let you get much better than .0005" on a perfectly aligned machine. Even a brand new Bridgeport mill is only built to a .001" spec. But on the otherhand a well maintained Monarch Double E with scales is capable of sub five tenths work with light cuts. Reason I mentioned the Monarch is that it's well known as the single most accurate tool room lathe ever built, and 90% of the time it's never goona be much less than .00075" on a good day.
gary
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

.0005 test indicator for run out. They're just easier to see whats going on is all. More important is a good base to put it on. Tenths is mainly spoken as a tolerance around a number ending in a thousandths - just a language for a tolerance around the last significant decimal place. If the last decimal place is a tenth then the tolerances will be spoken as hundredths (.00001) - Barrels are a Mystery judging by all the different sized pilots available for each caliber.