Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Wanting to build a rifle for F-Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

Wanting to build a rifle for F-Class

I'm wanting to improve my shooting at longer distance and think f/tr looks like a safe, fun way to do it.

I have a Winchester Stealth in 22-250. It is in the H-S Precision stock. My thinking is to rebarrel to .308 Win with a Krieger barrel, skim bed the stock, put a Leupy 6.5-20 on it and shoot. Option #2 would be to pillar bed in a Manners GAT stock and go with a box magazine. Oh, this rig will probably be a varmint/ hunting rig also.

Question #1: Is there a bullet/powder combo that you recommend? If so what twist are you shooting?

Question #2: What barrel contour would you recommend?

Question #3: How long does the barrel need to be? I'm leaning toward 24".

Question #4: What do you think makes a good f/tr stock? Since I would be shooting off a bipod, I don't think a wide fore-end is needed. Can't track in bags off a bipod. Is an adjustable LOP/comb preferred?

As I stated, I'm mainly doing this to improve my marksmanship at distances over what I regularly shoot. I want to have fun and improve, but I want to be able to compete as I gain experience also.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wanting to build a rifle for F-Class

If you are going to shoot the FTR class with a 308, you are limited to 18.8 lbs with bipod. FTRclass is only 308 and 223 with bipods. The Open class has all the race guns. Top end guys are using 6.5-284 and others are using a 6mm of some type (Dasher, BRX, BRDS, or 6x47). I would suggest stayin in the FTR class. You will learn to shoot in the wind with a 308 at 1000 for sure.

In FTR, no need for the "F class" style stock and in factr harder to mount a bipod on. Shoot whatever stock you want with a 6-9" swivel bipod with pod lock. Personally do not think adj cheek is necesarry but up to your tastes and fit . The A5 type seems to work well from Manners, Joel Russo (Here) or something similar. IMO for the FTR class, just stay with the stock you have and do a rebarrel and trigger. Might add the Shawn Carlocks Defensive Edge cheekpiece.

barrel - 24-28 inches. Pick a contour/length to give you the desired weight and handling characteristics for the hunting you want as this is not a "dedicated FTR" gun. Twist 1-11.

I have the M24 contour and little too heavy for my tastes but it is on a USMC return stock, kind of fits the model.

I would lean towards something a little lighter such as PA taper, LV etc.

Load info Bullet- 178 AMAX or 175 SMK Case- Laua and Win Powder- Varget (44-45 gr), RL15 and 4064 Primer BR2, WLR and 210

Shoot for 2600-2650 MV

Bases- Will need a 20 MOA base as it will take 37-40 MOA to get to 1000

Scope- Right now for the money, the best is the Sightron S3 LR either the 6-24 (100 MOA) or 8-32 (70 MOA) both under $800 from Larry Scott on 6mmbr.com. Optics as good as if not better than NF, lots of elevation, lifetime warranty and clicks almost as good as NF.

You can use a rear bag or shoot off a soft bag.

Midway has shooting mats on sale, you will want one!

good shootin

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 06-03-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

The 6X47lapua has been very successful around here in ND for f-class. 105 to 115 sent out a 28inch tube at 3000-3100fps. It is also not uncommon to have 10-30mph winds we are shooting in.

My first official 1000yd. F class competition Liz is shooting a 6X47lapua

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 06-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

+1 on Joel Russo as BountyHunter had mentioned. Great guy to work with.

Nodak

Member #92
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

You will want a cheek piece as your neck will get tired towards the end of the day.

You will need to decide on the chamber reamer. A special match chamber will set the throat for the 175 grain bullets. It is not so tight that you have to turn brass and yet it still is a small chamber and throat. The 175 SMK is fine for shooting animals- (see picture).

Definitely would want a Joel Russo stock if I was going to replace the stock.

While the 308 does not get big benefits from long barrels it definitely can be hurt by short barrels. Unless you really can't stand it then 28 is a good lenght for F-class.

The Luepold V3 is a proven performer and 20 power is just right

An option to think about is the Savage FTR rifle.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help. Great info. Let me pick your brains some more.

I'm really leaning toward a Krieger heavy target contour (#9 I believe), stainless, 26", with 11" twist per the advice I've been given here. I'll be sure to ask for it to be cut with a match chamber. I will have the reciever and bolt trued. All by Krieger if possible. Around $850.

I was digging through a spare parts drawer at the house and found a Tubbs 4-way adjustable buttplate I forgot I even had. I'll probably cut down the H-S varmint stock and install the buttplate and a cheekpiece I found on desert warrior products website. I will have to widen the barrel channel for that contour and skim bed the barrelled action. I'll only have to buy the cheekrest and some bedding compound going this way. So for around $70 I get the joy of butchering and rebuilding a perfectly good H-S Precision varmint stock.

Top it all with a Leupold custom shop VX3 long range 6.5-20x40 with TMR reticle and M1 turrets in badger base and burris XTR 30mm rings. I have this set up on my 7mm STW and really love the TMR. Around $1200.

I'll try different reloads with 175-180 SMK, A-Max, and Bergers in front of RL15 and Varget. I have a brick or 2 of Fed 210's to set them off.

I have a Harris 9"-13" swivel bipod with leg notches and podlock. Is this to tall for F-class?

Still need to snag a shooting mat though.

What trigger would recommend for the M70 short action?
Does this sound like a good place to start or just a mess?
Am I missing or leaving out anything?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get it right and believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy.

Again Thanks to all who replied.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

As mentioned by BH, you will need a 20 MOA base.

You will also need a bag or backpack for your gear.

As far as the trigger I do not know what fits a M70 but you really need a smooth consistent trigger.