Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Shooters capability vs variation in rifle/load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Shooters capability vs variation in rifle/load

I have a question that has arisen out of my quest for ultimate accuracy and tighter and tighter groups by tweeking my handloads. At what point do I stop looking at variation in the load process and/or components and start to consider that perhaps I have reached the limit of my personal ability?

I guess I'm approaching that point where I have to consider that I already have a load and equipment that surpass my ability and to improve group size I need to work on improving my personal skills.

I'm in my 50's and have worn glasses all of my adult life. At the urging of my children I had Lasik surgery performed on my eyes and noticed an immediate 20% (or better) reduction in group size, across the board on three rifles that have had no change in load or components. The improvement can only be explained by the change in my eyes. So this observation has got me thinking on other aspects of my personal abilities.

Last edited by mtang45; 09-12-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Shooters capability vs variation in rifle/load

Excellent train of thought. I think a lot of us are guilty of continuing to tweak our rifles, scopes and loads looking for the ultimate combination - without worrying so much about training ourselves to actually shoot better...

In the bit of NRA Highpower and Tactical competitions I've done, I've found that equipment and loads can provide an advantage, but the shooter who reads the wind and holds hard takes the prize... Everybody on the line has an accurate rifle & ammo combo - only one guy is going to win.

Personally, I'm very satisfied when my comp rifle is shooting 1/2 MOA. I don't worry about trying to get it down under that at all. Funny how some days, when nothing has changed with my rifle or ammo, it just doesn't shoot as well.... I've seen that danged rifle go from a half moa shooter to producing some pretty wide shots in a match... Hmmm... Am thinking those days reveal the true weak link in the chain - the shooter.

Regards, Guy
Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhhhh------now you are progressing to a level that most never get to!!! I shoot 1k BR and am pretty successful but some of my friends who I have been shooting and hunting with (not competitive shooters) still cannot see the need for a proper rest, bench technique which includes set up and leveling of the rest etc, when firing a string only chambering the round for no more than a couple of seconds, and then the big ones---learning to judge condition and cleaning the bore to a known condition. I have been fortunate and been taught by some of the best but it involved un-learning a portion if not most of what I have been doing for 30 years!!

They always just scratch their heads when I can take their ammunition and rifles and out shoot them---I hate it when that happens..

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 09-13-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

This imay be a dumb idea but.............

how about letting a shooter with known capabilities shoot your rifle & accuracy load to see if he can shoot measurably smaller groups? If so; you know what to work on.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
This imay be a dumb idea but.............

how about letting a shooter with known capabilities shoot your rifle & accuracy load to see if he can shoot measurably smaller groups? If so; you know what to work on.

I think your suggestion is right on. That will probably be my next step. However I don't really know any long distance shooters that have a proven track record. I live in the Kansas City area so if there are any members out there that know of a club, informal group or just a single person into long distance shooting, then let me know who and how to contact them.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

More range time less bench time

I know this is an old thread but if your load is shooting tight groups already, its time to tweak the nut behind the tirgger. When the shooter can out shoot the load, then its time to tweak the load. Until then tweak the shooter.

I have loads for both my guns that will shoot an inch at 100 yards. Thats good accuracy enough to hold the ten ring. Until I can consistantly hold the ten ring, messing with that load doesn't get me anything. Now when my skill gets to the point that that one inch load becomes a hindrance, then its time to develop a half inch load.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M View Post
. I've seen that danged rifle go from a half moa shooter to producing some pretty wide shots in a match... Hmmm... Am thinking those days reveal the true weak link in the chain - the shooter.

Regards, Guy

That is a very good point. A lot of folks spend so much time tweaking loads, bullet seating depths, scopes and bases, but most forget to work on the nut behind the trigger.