Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

My first Benchrest match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Hooked, yes. Since I was a young teenager I have loved handloading and shooting paper but have never really had anyone who enjoyed it as much as I do to shoot with me. As I alluded to in my original post the worst thing for me to do was to finish first on the 200 yd group as that is the one thing in the event I thought I had a chance of doing well on and possibly winning, since I was shooting a “point blank” gun but was not expecting much as there were several experienced BR shooters there and I was sure that the 6mm PPC in a full blown BR gun would beat me. Now the only way to go is down. I have never really practiced score shooting but have worked on improving my ability to make small groups. Granted Score represents more the ability to hit something but I have always strived to make ammo with a consistent POI which is what group represents.
When I called my wife to brag to her that I had won 200 yd group she asked if this type of competition is something I would enjoy doing, I told her “Well hell ya, I always knew I would enjoy doing it but have never found any competitions within a reasonable distance to do it. Which is why I made it a point to make this one.” In fact I had started last winter in a Benchrest point blank gun which is now done. I wish that I had known that this long range comp was going to be starting nearby as I would have built on a barrel that would stabilize the high b.c. bullets.
The Heartland Shooting Center is having another similar shoot the 22 of Sept. and I am afraid that harvest is going to interfere with that , since I now have a title to defend LOL.