Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

My first Benchrest match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

My first Benchrest match

This the story of the first Benchrest match I have ever attended.
It all started a week ago on Friday when I by accident discovered that there was a 200/600yd match at a range just less than 100 miles from me (Heartland Shooting Range, just West of Grand Island, NE) Saturday the 18th. I really had nothing ready to shoot but have been wanting to go to a match for a long time. Still hadnít finished the stock on my Lawton 7500 and only had a few 6mm Talldog cases formed which I also had a Savage 12 single shot chambered for. I decided I didnít have time to form more cases so last Sunday I pulled the barrel off the Savage and ran the 6BR reamer on in .100" to make a standard 6 BR (no case forming necessary). Thursday A.M. I was able to shoot a ladder test I picked what I thought was the best and loaded a few rounds and tested them, OK good enough I thought.
I made it to the match this morning the directors decided to shoot the 600yd first as it was already getting windy (16 gusting to 30 from 6:00). I was actually surprised with the 70 gr bullets (1-14 twist) that I was able to get all 10 record shots on target.
Then came the 200 yard event in the afternoon. Oh I didnít mention I only brought 50 rounds and had 7 left for sighters plus 10 for record shots for the 200 yd. I shot 5 on the sighter and went to the record. Man what happened that looks terrible I thought as I finished the 5 record shots on target 1. I then collected myself and went to target 2, watched the conditions and fired 1 sighter , Looks good I thought and went to record and put 5 shots in it. As I looked at the second target I thought thatís better too bad I didnít do better on target 1. At least I did end up with 1 bullet left.
Then they distributed the targets someone shot a 1.144 and .612 for an agg of .878, who was on bench 3? Holly cow thatís me. :eek:
Boy was I surprised, I won the 200 yd group.

Savage 12 SS-S
Pac-Nor 4 groove 1-14 twist super match grade
Savage VLP stock
Sightron 6x24x42 scope
6mm BR .272 no-turn neck
Sierra 70gr MK

My 600 yd 10 shot agg was 10.837 Score was bad.
The winner of the 600 yd group was shooting a tight neck 6.5x55 Ack on a Bat action.
The winner of the 600 yd score was shooting 180gr Burgers in a 7mm WSM on a Savage action and I believe a tensioned barrel.
I didnít catch what the winner of the 200 yd score was shooting but did notice it looked like a Rem. action with a sleaved bolt.

Thatís my story and I sticking to it.
Canít wait to get the Lawton up and going with a real BR stock.
In hindsight it would have been better if I had placed further down the list.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

James,

Congrats on your first benchrest match, that's awesome. One of these days I am going to do a match. The nearest benchrest range for me is about 300 miles away in Sacramento, CA.

Once again, CONGRATS!!!!! on your accomplishment.

Wildcat
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

James H where are you located at? I didn't know that Heartland had any competitions going on.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
James H where are you located at? I didn't know that Heartland had any competitions going on.
I live about half way between Holdrege and Alma.
I by accident found out about the match.
They are trying to get enought interest to start having IBS sanctioned matches.
They said they would send emails to everyone who participated in this weeks match whenever they have another.
I don't think there was much notice on this match as the stools for the benches were finished the night before the match.
I'll try to post info when I get it about the next match.
James
Old 08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Good for you.

I spent all day yesterday shooting F-class competition and it was a lot of fun and the mirage just drove me bananas. There are about five of us who are just real beginners and we all shoot equally badly.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

I never thought I would enjoy competitive, shooting benchrest or F-Class. I was wrong.
A word of encouragement....you will only improve your F-Class scores. I have gone from a middle of the pack finish my first time out, to respectible finish, to a third, to a second place finish. My goal was always not to finish last. Now it is becoming my goal to win one. Maybe I will get lucky and get a windless day. I am learning that the wind is a friend to the more experianced shooters.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

James

are you Hucked yet ?

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards