close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Match question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

Match question

The 14th and 15th of this month I will be shooting my first F class match.
there will be two matches. the 14th is a 3-5-600 yard match. the 15th will be a 3x-600 yard match. I will be shooting both my .308 and my .223.

My 308 load is based on a 175 grain Berger VLD so all is well in the .3o cal camp.

My .223 load is based on the 50 grain Hornaday vmax. I picked a 50 grain bullet because my gun has a 12 twist barrel and I wanted to use raw speed to help counter wind drift. I have seen first hand the accuracy of this bullet in my gun so I am fully confident that the bullet will go where I point it. Since I am shooting a 600 yard match with a projectile that isn't ideal for that kind or range this should make for a very challanging day. If anyone has any tips on trying to hold the 10 ring with a 50 grain bullet from 600 yards I am happen to listen and learn
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Match question

There is a guy that I bump into from time to time around here in WA that shoots a Rem 700 SPS w/ a 1-12" tw... I think he found some 64gr Bergers that were the heaviest bullets he could spin in that barrel. I'm not sure how much realistic benefit they have over a 50-55gr running as fast as you can push it, but the moral of the story is you may be able to squeeze a little more out of what you have.

Strategy for staying in the 10-ring... aim for the 9-ring. Actually, I'm not really joking here - trying to stay in the 10-ring under anything less than optimal weather conditions (and your first time out, and somewhat under-gunned) is going to be more of an exercise in frustration than anything else. By all means get out there and shoot, and see what you can do with that gun/load, but maintain some realistic expectations.

I don't know what the local wind patterns are, so I'll just say this: keep an eye on the wind flags if there are any. It might take a string (or two), and you may have to fudge and ask someone (not during your strings) what flags are best to watch, but watch for pickups, letoffs & switches. Those are the things that are going to launch you out into the 8-ring and beyond.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Raw speed is not the answer. I have shot a few 300-500 yd matches with a 17 Rem. Your best assets will be a good sense of humor and a willingness to learn.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
There is a guy that I bump into from time to time around here in WA that shoots a Rem 700 SPS w/ a 1-12" tw... I think he found some 64gr Bergers that were the heaviest bullets he could spin in that barrel. I'm not sure how much realistic benefit they have over a 50-55gr running as fast as you can push it, but the moral of the story is you may be able to squeeze a little more out of what you have.

Strategy for staying in the 10-ring... aim for the 9-ring. Actually, I'm not really joking here - trying to stay in the 10-ring under anything less than optimal weather conditions (and your first time out, and somewhat under-gunned) is going to be more of an exercise in frustration than anything else. By all means get out there and shoot, and see what you can do with that gun/load, but maintain some realistic expectations.

I don't know what the local wind patterns are, so I'll just say this: keep an eye on the wind flags if there are any. It might take a string (or two), and you may have to fudge and ask someone (not during your strings) what flags are best to watch, but watch for pickups, letoffs & switches. Those are the things that are going to launch you out into the 8-ring and beyond.
Man you weren't kidding, Even in big wind I could keep those 50's in the black. I shot my share of 7's 8's when I didn't see a wind change. When I was able to correct BEFORE I dropped the hammer, they go where I point'em.