Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Looking to reach 1000!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking to reach 1000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutner3421 View Post
First let me start by saying, thanks for the info guys (trebark and bigbuck)! What yall are saying is consistant with what info I have been looking into. Definately agree with the load your own mentality. Although I have never done this, I will be purchasing the equipment to do so soon. Any recomendations on loaders and equipment would be appreciated as well. As far as stocks, I am leaning towards the HS. The current trigger is the factory Xmark. I had a gunsmith test and adjust this for me. He said I was fortunate that it breaks as clean as it does, but could only adjust to just under 3lbs.

Again any additional input is welcomed! Keep it coming folks.

Thanks
I like the the RCBS press it's fairly reasonable you can also get a starter kit that has everything just about that you would need .

I have a rifle basics trigger in my 300 RUM it's cheaper than a jewel if money isn't tight then the jewel would probably be the go to trigger. I've also used timney triggers and they work really well and are not to heavy on the wallet.

You should be able to find a used HS stock for a okay price every now and then online.

I must warn you when you start to load your own it will become as much fun as shooting or atleast thats what has happened to me

bigBuck
Old 06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutner3421 View Post
Miller Outdoors......thanks for the input!

Unfortunately I have never loaded my own ammo. I am looking into purchasing the equipment now. So, that being said, is there a " how to load ammo for dummies" version of your loading info. I.e. .....ladder test, lands, etc. If I should just by the book, feel free to say that .

Thanks again
Read, read, read...it won't take you long to learn what all these terms mean.

Ladder Test: putting together reloaded ammunition with progressively higher volums of powder and shooting them in a round-robin order.

Lands: if you look down the barrel of your rifle you will see it is 'rifled'. There are 'lands' and 'grooves'. The lands are the higher areas. The chamber of your rifle ends at the lands of your barrel. So miller's advice is to load bullets so that they are various distances from the lands. This distance is often called 'jump' (as in how far your bullet has to jump before getting into the barrel)

Keep the questions coming.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Until you get to reloading, you can get a box of Fed GM 175 match and try it and see how the accuracy is. Usually it will provide competitive accuracy to 1000 yards.

67462 - Ammo .308 Win., Gold Medal, Sierra MatchKing Boat Tail Hollow Point Bullet, 175 Grain, 2600 fps, 20 Round Box

The other thing to do is to find a place to shoot.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Buffalobob is on the right track. Get some 175 or 155gr match ammo for starters. Make sure you have a 20MOA base to reach 1000 and get some drop data from a fellow shooter using the same ammo (best) or from a ballistics program (many apps for Iphone/itouch or free online). You will likely need a 6-9" swivel bipod, a rear beanbag and an anti-cant (level) for your scope.

I barely shot at 1k this month for the first time, so I'm learning too. There are lots of guys at our local match that shoot stock 308's with minor upgrades....
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Couple of things.....
Make sure you get a seater die that does not crimp, target bullets don't have a crimp ring.
Optics, need to be repeatable when the adjustments are made. The choice here can really make a difference. I struggled recently with my first scope purchase in nearly 10 years and ended up with a Japanese made Sightron SIII.

Manventure.com has some real good deals on optics, bullets and misc.

TM
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Super X...thanks for the die info. I am currently shooting a Millett TRS, that I have put through multiple target test going around the target and coming back to zero. It has done very well, always ending up at O-O ( once zeroed I reset my turrets).

loaders_loft.... I am currently using a free program from JBM to help decide on a round and hopefully truely utilize once I have started using the rounds. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I do not have an I phone, but if you know of anything for blackberry, that would be great. I do not have a 20 MOA base. My gun smith tested my scope and said that I have over 90 MOA of adjustment and considering I was able to zero on the bottom side of that I should be OK out to 1000. I have the bi-pod (Harris), but not an anti-cant level.....need to look into this!

buffalobob.....thanks for the ammo link. I am ordering some to try out until I can start loading my own.

Keep it coming folks.....all of this has been useful!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

here they are, all different types of bubble levels for your scope. Len also sells several types right here in the LRH store.

Stay away from the ones that mount to the rail. I had the $$$US Optics swivel rail mount level and it was off level when I tightened it on the rail. Lame. Midway was great, and traded me for the scope mounted swivel model, which is better but the swivel is a bit hokey. I also have the scoplevel on my prairiedog rifle, 22-250, which works fine but its not very robustly made.

Recently I purchased the hollands signature model, which looks well made, and robust. We'll see, it should be here in a couple days.

The Vortex was a bit cheaper but it looks like its full of sharp edges and I didn't want that digging into my back & gear. The others that mount in place of the rings or just on top of the scope seem like they would be hard to see from shooting position.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search