Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Looking to reach 1000!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Looking to reach 1000!!!

I am looking for advice on upgrades or products to help improve the ability of my rifle.

I have recently decided to get serious about reaching down range and hitting the infamous 1000yd mark. At this point I still consider myself a novice, but have a significant amount of time behind a rifle( mostly hunting and target to 300 yds). I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 that I have chosen to begin this task with. The only thing that has been done to the rifle is a trigger job. Have a Millet 4-16x56 TSR-1 mounted on picatiny rail with Leuapold rings. Has a Harris bi-pod as well. At this time the gun is shooting sub MOA groups, but barely and not consistantly. I am determined to stay with this rig, as I believe that with a few adjustments, the gun will be more capable than me for a while. My first thought is to replace the flimsy stock. I have looked into HS, Mcmillan, and Bell & Carlson. At this time am leaning towards the HS.

Apologize for the long post, but want to try and give as much info for usefull feedback. Any and everyone feel free to give your opinion! I am here to learn!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking to reach 1000!!!

Welcome to LRH . someone will eventually chime in with some good advice .

but until then i'll recommend a few things if thats okay .

A good trigger say from 1 1/2 lb to 2 lb at the most in my opinion.

A good bullet with a high bc for your .308 I would give the Amax a try or berger.

An hogdon extreme powder specifically if you plan on practicing in HOT conditions .

Last but not least get real picky with your load development (this one i'm learning at this very moment) . Sort brass, anneal make em all the same length and so on .

Note this is just what i've read but if you've seen the targets that broz shot with the new .338 bergers he's doing something right and this si just a few of the tricks he's doing.

Good luck

BigBuck
Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

aaahhh...improve the accuracy potential of your rifle.....

1. Replace Stock with HS, McMillan, B&C, laminate etc.

2. Bed the action into the new stock (if the stock does not have an aluminum block, then pillar bed too)

3. Trigger Job (which it sounds as though you've done)

4. Recrown barrel

5. Reload your ammunition - for 1k shooting you will want 175grain or heavier SMK, VLD or Amax bullets. A buddy of mine shoots the 208Amax with 48 grains of RL17. Gets 2700+fps out of the load.

I've taken these same steps more than once.....

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Miller Outdoors

If in your situation I'd first swap out the stock, or I'd bed the receiver and firm up the forend with a rod or JB Weld to make it stiffer. I'd also make sure the barrel was fully floating with plenty of clearance.

Then I'd try the 185 or 190 grain Berger VLD's and do a ladder test with Hodgdon Varget to see what powder charge gives you good margin for error. Then I'd load up a bunch of 5 shot groups at the two most promising looking powder charges .02" off the rifling and see which shot best. Then I'd take the best of those loads and try 4 more 5 shot groups 1) .015 into the lands, 2) right at the lands, 3) .015 off the lands and 4) .030 off the lands. Pick the best one and work up a drop chart, then go out and confirm the longer range drops. Then go hunting.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM

First let me start by saying, thanks for the info guys (trebark and bigbuck)! What yall are saying is consistant with what info I have been looking into. Definately agree with the load your own mentality. Although I have never done this, I will be purchasing the equipment to do so soon. Any recomendations on loaders and equipment would be appreciated as well. As far as stocks, I am leaning towards the HS. The current trigger is the factory Xmark. I had a gunsmith test and adjust this for me. He said I was fortunate that it breaks as clean as it does, but could only adjust to just under 3lbs.

Again any additional input is welcomed! Keep it coming folks.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Miller Outdoors......thanks for the input!

Unfortunately I have never loaded my own ammo. I am looking into purchasing the equipment now. So, that being said, is there a " how to load ammo for dummies" version of your loading info. I.e. .....ladder test, lands, etc. If I should just by the book, feel free to say that .

Thanks again
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

In terms of reloading stuff, I use RCBS. It's good middle-of-the-road price. Lee makes decent gear and is the least expensive. Both companies have 'kits' that pretty much have all the gear you need to get started. Then you can start to add all the extras and get into the minutae of reloading.

Before you buy any gear though. Get a reloading manual and read, read, read. Learn everything you can about the reloading process and then go and buy gear.

Welcome to the addiction! It will suck your wallet dry!