Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Long range ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Long range ammo

I recently joined the forum hoping to get some insight and pointers into long range shooting. I am looking at eventually getting into competive long range shooting, so hope to get some tips from you all. I am currently focusing on my ammo. I am curious if there is a factory loaded round that I can purchase that has consistant BC ( balistic coeficient) out of the box. I am also considering loading my own ammo. I know that loading my own is less expensive in the long run. I have never loaded my own ammo, so this is why I am inquiring into factory loaded ammo. I am shooting a .308 out of a remington 700 base with a 26" barrel having a 1 in 12 twist. I am currently shooting right at 1 MOA with inexpensive Win and Rem ammo, but almost always end up with a flyer about every 4th or 5th round. Obviously want to get sub MOA grouping and understand that I will have to do some more mods to my rifle before I can achieve this, but want the best oppurtunity with what I have.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input and if there is any additional info needed......please ask.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long range ammo

I am glad your not my neighbor, being you are in Texas. He was buging me about having me teach him how to reload I told him to get a book and read everything he can and when I feel better I will help him. Well did he listen? nope! he fired a hand load with out my help and it just blew a bunch of soot and flash from his action..The Range Master and every one notised this was not right so they checked and the brass was burned down the side and the bullet was about 10 inches stuck in the Barrel.
Start with Black Hills or go up to Nosler..take your time and don't let your barrel get hot.
Many Rifles shoot better with a fouled Barrel, all mine do.
I don't know if you are shooting off hand but when I was a little boy of 10 years there was a man who was a good friend of my brother's father inlaw. he trained Marines in the
1st and 2nd WWs he would make me stand and point my .22 at a spot on a cedar fence
this guy was one helova target shooter, he would use the old Springfield he left me and at 100 yards he would kill 8oz juice cans full of water they were taped to the the fence and he would aim, shoot aim shoot! he never missed. this guy as a "quote" they could pin all his awards on him and he would sink in lake Huron. If you wish to reload read as much as you can use good equipment and the best hunting bullets, but for target shooting, I use match rounds from Hornaday.
Speer is great also, but read and learn all you can.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutner3421 View Post
I recently joined the forum hoping to get some insight and pointers into long range shooting. I am looking at eventually getting into competive long range shooting, so hope to get some tips from you all. I am currently focusing on my ammo. I am curious if there is a factory loaded round that I can purchase that has consistant BC ( balistic coeficient) out of the box. I am also considering loading my own ammo. I know that loading my own is less expensive in the long run. I have never loaded my own ammo, so this is why I am inquiring into factory loaded ammo. I am shooting a .308 out of a remington 700 base with a 26" barrel having a 1 in 12 twist. I am currently shooting right at 1 MOA with inexpensive Win and Rem ammo, but almost always end up with a flyer about every 4th or 5th round. Obviously want to get sub MOA grouping and understand that I will have to do some more mods to my rifle before I can achieve this, but want the best oppurtunity with what I have.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input and if there is any additional info needed......please ask.

Thanks
Put it on a bench and try Black Hills 168 and 175 if you dont get the results you want then try Federal Gold Medal 168 and 175. Between these four I have always found one that would work. Most often 175 Black hills.
If one works try and get as much as you can from the same lot#
Good Luck &good shooting
Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

Hornady and Black Hills match will probably be satisfactory, but I personally would recommend the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK.

And if you decide to handload, you can duplicate this load with even greater precision and/or tailor the load to your rifle.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 AM

I've had alot of good results with American Eagle 168 gr.OTM. My M1A match rifle and 700 SPS Tactical are shooting under an inch with it. At around $14.00 a box it's a good deal. It's made by Federal and the ballistics is very similar to GMM. I've used it out to 600 yards.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutner3421 View Post

Thanks
As an additional note, about handloading, it technically is cheaper to handload per box of ammo... but it will take quite a bit of reloading to recoup the price of your reloading equipment. That being said, it is better, usually, by the accuracy standpoint. If you ask most hardcore reloaders why they reload, they may throw the price point at you, but it usually is mainly for accuracy (and/or the fact that they did it themselves). Myself being one of these .

I have been reloading for a few other people though, and have probably covered most of my costs through this lol.

Last edited by bowhunthard; 01-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Corbon ammo, 308 win 155gr lapua scenar. i bought corbon for my 6.5x284 just to get the cases, turns out they were tack drivers.