Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

I have the dumbest question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: I have the dumbest question.

Quote:
I have checked and re-checed and others who I shoot with are saying its dead on and not canted. I have spun that scope rt and left and it always comes back to zero. every time.
I'm talking about "canted" at the bases or mounts from being bad quality bases or mounts, or inadequate installation.

As an example:
I have Burris Signature Zee rings on my Howa. Say I were to use the inserts that "cant" my scope giving me 20moa more in elevation adjustment. Now say I installed them rotated 90 degrees, making my scope "canted" horizontally instead of vertically; I would get the same result you are experiencing.

EDIT:
I would think if your objective lens is centered over the bore, your horizontal POI would remain constant.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 06-20-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Gold Member

I am using Loupold rings and I lapped them before installing the scope I used dykum bluing on the inside so they are even.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

Have you shot past 200 yds? What is it doing at 500 yds? Is it a single round that is that far out or are you shooting 3-5 shot groups and all of them out there? If the group is going left 2" at 200 and more than that the further out you go, then I would also say the scope is canted (meaning that it is not in line with your rife, twisted in the rings...)

Is your barrel free floated?

I am strongly leaning towards your scope not being installed properly.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

Im just gona start all over and change the scope and my friend who is a gunsmith will get this problem solved.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
I'm talking about "canted" at the bases or mounts from being bad quality bases or mounts, or inadequate installation.

As an example:
I have Burris Signature Zee rings on my Howa. Say I were to use the inserts that "cant" my scope giving me 20moa more in elevation adjustment. Now say I installed them rotated 90 degrees, making my scope "canted" horizontally instead of vertically; I would get the same result you are experiencing.

EDIT:
I would think if your objective lens is centered over the bore, your horizontal POI would remain constant.
Sounds like Cant to me.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

I dont know guys because canted is a relative term. The barrel is what determines horizontal cantedness (is that a real word) not the action! Hooked barrels do some bizarre stuff! About the only thing you can do for them is twist the scope to approximate the hook. Twisting the scope can also be a good thing to compensate for spin drift at your favorite multiple distance target range.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

http://hollandguns.com/articles/Perpendicularity.doc

95% the reticle is not perpendicular with the bore.

Read Darryl Hollands article on how to fix it.

BH