Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class


Reply

f-class for LRH practice

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 805
Re: f-class for LRH practice

I don't think anybody ever said - or implied - that shooting F-class on a (usually) flat/square KD range is a *replacement* for time out in the field on targets at unknown distances, weird angles, odd positions, etc.. Just going from one KD range to another will emphasize the difference a cut in the tree line on the berm or a gully between yard lines can have, much less the extremes you may see out in the field.

As the OP (Jim) pointed out... most people don't get near enough trigger time at distance, in the field or otherwise. F-Class can supplement that to some degree, giving the shooter some confidence in their ability to put shots on target under controlled conditions. If a person can't do it on a flat KD range with wind flags and multiple shots and everything else... its pretty hard to defend trying it in the field on live game where you only get *one* shot.

I realize its not quite that simple, as there is a different skill set involved and a lot of long-range hunting guns are not ideal for F-Class - you'd either get beat to death by the recoil, ran off the firing line because of the muzzle blast, or melt down your barrel over a string of fire - and vice versa. But in terms of seeing what it actually takes to consistently put rounds into a given area and realizing that maybe a person needs to limit themselves to targets a little closer to the muzzle... F-Class can be a useful training tool.

YMMV,

Monte
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: f-class for LRH practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
I don't think anybody ever said - or implied - that shooting F-class on a (usually) flat/square KD range is a *replacement* for time out in the field on targets at unknown distances, weird angles, odd positions, etc.. Just going from one KD range to another will emphasize the difference a cut in the tree line on the berm or a gully between yard lines can have, much less the extremes you may see out in the field.

As the OP (Jim) pointed out... most people don't get near enough trigger time at distance, in the field or otherwise. F-Class can supplement that to some degree, giving the shooter some confidence in their ability to put shots on target under controlled conditions. If a person can't do it on a flat KD range with wind flags and multiple shots and everything else... its pretty hard to defend trying it in the field on live game where you only get *one* shot.

I realize its not quite that simple, as there is a different skill set involved and a lot of long-range hunting guns are not ideal for F-Class - you'd either get beat to death by the recoil, ran off the firing line because of the muzzle blast, or melt down your barrel over a string of fire - and vice versa. But in terms of seeing what it actually takes to consistently put rounds into a given area and realizing that maybe a person needs to limit themselves to targets a little closer to the muzzle... F-Class can be a useful training tool.

YMMV,

Monte
Well said Monte,

I also shoot cold bore shoots locally where you take one shot on a target board at 600 and 880 yards, and I find this has very little educational value to the shooter about what his gun does consistently, because there is no consistancy, not with 2 shots fired all day.

Sure some of the best practice is for me to drive down to bear bluff and punch rocks apart, but many guys don't have the available shooting areas, and taking a gun to a f-class match is a good place to wring out a gun and a load or multiple loads.

I see the wind reading skill set as somthing that is learned or felt regaurdless of what you are trying to read, flags, trees, grass, or mirage, it all goes hand in hand. My sighter shots at 900 yards on this match were a first shot 10 and then a second shot x. with 3.5 minutes of wind dialed in the scope, I got instant feed back on my wind dope assesment so I learned somthing, my first sighter at a 1000 with what should have been more dope was a 7, but the nut on the dials turned them the wrong way instead of dialing 3/4 min more wind, I took off 3/4 minute. I learned somthing then too, equipment familiarity.

If you ever shot in Lodi there is a 300 foot hill behind the targets and a cut down the middle of the course with no trees and a small dip, this range will induce verticle whith certain winds and that hill can cause a west wind to roll around the hill fron the NW or SW, When you hit that condition every other shot you are comming up with different wind dope.

How much confidence is gained, equipment familiarity, muscle memory, trigger control, recoil managment,
position stanima. Laying prone for about 1 hour a day used to fatigue my neck, now I don't even notice it.

I think there is value in this for practice, you just have to look for it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
PUBLISHER
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,877
Re: f-class for LRH practice

Quote:
drive down to bear bluff and punch rocks apart
Jim tell me more about this. Is it public land with rocky hills or cliffs to shoot at like out west?
__________________


Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: f-class for LRH practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Jim tell me more about this. Is it public land with rocky hills or cliffs to shoot at like out west?
It's a 200ft bluff that has exposed rock, you could shot into it from a clear cut (not much walking) or climb it and shoot down into targets in the clear cut. (walk about 300 yards uphill)
I am 95% sure it is county land but would like to check a platt book to be certain.
about 25 minutes south of me and very remote.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grafton, WI
Posts: 593
Re: f-class for LRH practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
It's a 200ft bluff that has exposed rock, you could shot into it from a clear cut (not much walking) or climb it and shoot down into targets in the clear cut. (walk about 300 yards uphill)
I am 95% sure it is county land but would like to check a platt book to be certain.
about 25 minutes south of me and very remote.
Interesting... I will have to see if you have any free time the next time I'm up there
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 187
Re: f-class for LRH practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
Gorgeous F-class rifle!

However, I have to respectfully disagree as far as f-class for LRH practice. I find it close to useless, except for accuracy and vertical testing. The only shot that has practice value, IMO, is the first sighter. After that... Your either chasing the spotter, running and gunning, or waiting till the 2-4 large flags are pointing the way you want them to, and sending it.
I find this to have almost no real world wind doping value. If you completely ignore the flags, and just use brush, trees, mirage, etc, this value increases. However I still find f-class inefficient, as far as how much you learn per shot. One must shoot in the field, where hills, canyons, rivers, etc affect the wind velocity and direction.

I really enjoy f-class, and have has reasonable success, I don't really put it in the same drawer as LR hunting or practice for LRH.
sounds like practical long range to me!! thats what i want to get into most! i like to hunt too, but comp is where my eyes lye. waiting on funds to build my first ever even semi custom build. i cant wait till i go to my first steel safari! that's the dream lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: f-class for LRH practice
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Practice rig? shortpants Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 7 04-06-2011 01:45 AM
WTB 7mm barrels for practice joe30007 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 07-27-2010 04:40 PM
A little practice before....... bailey1474 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 7 11-08-2005 01:58 PM
Practice,Practice,Practice. The Basics, Starting Out 1 04-24-2004 04:50 AM
Practice with .22 lr big hunter The Basics, Starting Out 13 06-10-2002 03:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC