Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Custom Built Rifles....out of the box accuracy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Custom Built Rifles....out of the box accuracy??

Old 09-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

I don't know about real customs but I expect submoa out of a factory rifle my Stevens 223 shoots. 75 moa all day,and that's as close to a custom as I have. My savage 11LRH 6.5 creedmoor shoots .6s and that's ok but not good enough for me I won't be happy till it under .5 moa. Both are with hand loads
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

I think the shooting qualities of a custom depends largely on the specific builder. A also believe that there will be a difference between a Benchrest custom and a rifle intended for hunting or tactical shooting. I have buddies that shoot Benchrest customs that have chambers cut so close that they don't even resize brass and use the same batch of 100 brass for the life of the barrel. These rifles are .25 MOA and better. The best custom long range hunting rifles I have seen were guarenteed to shoot .5MOA but generally exceeded that spec. I have one that can shoot .25 or better pretty consistantly tested with 5 shots at 500 yards. When it doesn't it's me, not the rifle. It was designed and tested for a specific bullet style so I never tried it with others. The biggest difference with this rifle is that from the first shot to now, about 300 rounds later, it has held point of impact, clean, dirty, warm or cold. The builder did the barrel break in. Also, the rifle cleans up in much less time than my factory rigs. Of course the fit and finish is superb. Some buddies with custom rifles have seen similiar performance, others have not. This rifle was a gift so it is likely I won't get another custom. Most my rifles are "do it yourself" factory or just rebarreled. I have done fine with these, some capable of producing .25-.5MOA, but can see a difference in overall shooting qualities with my custom.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

This is off of main theme,but the Winchester "Heavy Varmit" I had would shoot under half inch(100 yds 5shots) my friends would do quarter inch. and as you know these are complete factory,both were chambered in .308.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

That is a very general question. You cannot isolate the rifle, and fail to consider quality of reloads, scope, shooter capability and many other factors. Its not all about the barrel, action, bullet, etc. There are too many factors to make a general statement. These days, many out of the box factory rifles will shoot very well and some customs just so-so. There are no guarantees in this game.