Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

Competitive score?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Competitive score?

What is a competitive score for midrange f-class prone on the new targets? Just wondering because I am considering in shooting in the state match and dont want to get smoked too bad.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

We just had a 600 yard match on the new targets:

F-class winner shot a 772/22X

F/TR winner shot a 734/14X

It was an 80 round course of fire with some significant twisting winds. The F-class winner was shooting a 6-Dasher, the F/TR winner was shooting a .308 with 190 gr Sierra Matchkings. The new targets have certainly made an impact on the scores generated by the F-class shooters, but their accuracy is still amazing. Our course, here at the North Central Washington gun club is known to be a bit breezy hence our sign "Home of the Wind Buckers." These same guys have shot considerably tighter in less windy conditions.

I was laid up with an injury and helped run the match, but couldn't shoot.

Regards, Guy
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

BTW - I wouldn't worry too much about being competitive. I shoot for the fun of it, the personal challenge. I don't shoot as well as the big guys who come to the same matches, but I'm constantly learning from them.

Regards, Guy
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Guy,
Thanks that gives me a decent guide. I am shooting at a small range and doing okay, just didnt know how stiff the competition I was shooting against is. I saw one guy last match shoot a 200-18x. From the research I have been doing (trying to figure out whether I would get embarrassed) I found that it would be a new record if it had been shot in a registered match. I keep hearing stories of clean 20 shot strings. I am beginning to believe that most of those clean strings were on the old targets, but those stories were worrying me a little. Looks like I am going to give it a try. I am not concerned with winning, just dont want to get blown out.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Only way to know for sure is to get out and shoot. High scores under good conditions are nice and let you know that your gun shoots and your form is good. Getting out out of your comfort zone on other ranges w/ nasty conditions is where the fun really starts ;) Then again, I mainly shoot F/TR, so I have an unusual sense of what 'fun' is

There are some ranges I go to to get a good no-wind zero and essentially do load testing during a match. There are others I go to work on shooting in the wind. The scores shot on the one rarely resemble the scores shot on the other.

Center up and knock 'em down,

Monte