Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

6.5 long range cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 long range cartridges

I have shot and still shoot a .260 improved, I have enjoyed it over the years and its not hard on barrels, accuracy, and speed near to the 6.5X284. Just another choice.

Ron Tilley
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

The 6.5's are awesome and I shoot the 260 for competition. The accuracy is great and I have noticed that very few seem to be shooting the 308 anymore in matches.

I have seen lots of people switch to the 6.5 Creedmoor and now for some reason, they are necking it down to the 6mm Creedmoor, with the 105 Berger Hyb. That should be very interesting to see how that fares in future competitions, from what I have heard, it's doing well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM

I am sure the 260 Imp., is a very good cartridge that does come close to the 6.5x284. About 15 years ago I decided to build a cartridge based upon the old 250 Savage case, but in 6.5 caliber. I blew it out like the Ackley cartridges to give me more case capacity.
So, I drew out this new "baby" sent the drawings to Pacific reamer and presto, I had a brand new custom reamer.
Garland Gilbreath of Triple G gunsmithing built this new rocket launcher for me using a Model 7 Rem action.
It is am awesome cartridge, almost an exact duplicate of the 6.5 Creedmore, problem is; I have to make every case. I can buy the Creedmore cases from Hornady, call me lazy, but I am shooting the Creedmore now much more than my own.
Same thing for the 260 Imp., great cartridge, but, easier to just buy 6.5x284 cases I think. Same results.
Good Shootin',
MM
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblman View Post
I am sure the 260 Imp., is a very good cartridge that does come close to the 6.5x284. About 15 years ago I decided to build a cartridge based upon the old 250 Savage case, but in 6.5 caliber. I blew it out like the Ackley cartridges to give me more case capacity.
So, I drew out this new "baby" sent the drawings to Pacific reamer and presto, I had a brand new custom reamer.
Garland Gilbreath of Triple G gunsmithing built this new rocket launcher for me using a Model 7 Rem action.
It is am awesome cartridge, almost an exact duplicate of the 6.5 Creedmore, problem is; I have to make every case. I can buy the Creedmore cases from Hornady, call me lazy, but I am shooting the Creedmore now much more than my own.
Same thing for the 260 Imp., great cartridge, but, easier to just buy 6.5x284 cases I think. Same results.
Good Shootin',
MM
you are correct, the differences is less powder, less expensive brass, and better barrel life from my experience. Ron Tilley