close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Long Range Competition

Long Range Competition Sniper stuff, groundhog shoots, egg shoots, 1000yd BR, F-Class

300 Weatherby at 1000yards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:29 AM

Re: 300 Weatherby at 1000yards?

Hi,
This disease must be contagious I was only going to have one gun but that was a year ago.
I have a 300 wby mag in a Vangard stainless with a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30X50 and I am just getting into hand loading.
Do you have any advice for me as I advance to longer distances?
oh_j0ker

Unread 02-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Yup...classic triggernosus...best treated with shootincillin. 300 Weatherby is just warming up at 500 yards...1000 no problem.
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

The 300WBY is great at 1000yrds, we shoot a Vanguard and it will shoot way better than the trigger puller. We tried the 210 Bergers with Retumbo but changed due to recoil, absolutely brutal in the light Vanguard. The 185's are easier but I think it will wear a new stock with a possible brake installation.
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

I also have a 300wby,and love it. Mine is ''factory'' though the rifle can most likely outperform the shooter(me) I dont feel -my- setup would do well at 1k. NOT because of caliber. Ive been told of wonderful performance well past 1k, and beyond with 300wby. but -my- rifle wears a ''factory'' bbl and stock, and may not perform to the standard that I want it to at that distance. Heck I might not either, but Im working on changing that. I havent taken the ''leap'' into a full on ''L/R'' rifle yet, but its rapidly aproaching, as I too have the ''sickness''. In my case I would need the right tool(complete package) for the job or Id be chasing gohsts expecting ultimate performance from an incomplete package(including bettering my own personal ability).
Obviously you shoot well as does your rifle for groups like that at 500yds, so maybe your both up to the task. Its definately worth the try! And you certianly have the apropriate caliber to try it with. But youve been bitten by the bug so to speak, so ultimate satisfaction will be a never ending quest. Id say go for it and squeeze as much performance out of your rifle as you can and see what you can do. Just be warned....The sickness grows stronger with every milestone achieved. Good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Unread 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_j0ker View Post
Hi,
This disease must be contagious I was only going to have one gun but that was a year ago.
I have a 300 wby mag in a Vangard stainless with a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30X50 and I am just getting into hand loading.
Do you have any advice for me as I advance to longer distances?
oh_j0ker
Yes we all have caught what has become known as triggers disease. the best advise I can give you for long distance shooting is master the fundamentals at the shorter ranges first.

Don't get wraped around the axle with shooting groups. Groups should only be used to gauge the rifles performance. The goal for the shooter is ONE SHOT ONE KILL. Try to to put one round on ten different MOA sized targets with out missing one. Snipers call that the dot drill ( no I was never any kind of sniper) Start wtih ten one inch dots on ten different target backers spread ten feet apart at 100 yards. When you can do it twice, move to 200 with 2 inch dots. You should also do this from field positions.
I learned to shoot in the Marine Corps and have been pulling triggers for a lot of years. I still can't put ten rounds on ten MOA sized dots with out jerking at least one out
( this is still at the 100 yard line). I have come close though. The dot drill is much harder than it sounds. shots on the edges of the dot count as a miss. The shot hole mus be completly inside the target. The goal is to master the skills required to make one shot DRT kills from extended ranges.
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

rdiis64, Ilke the idea of shoot ten one inch dots on ten different target backers spread ten feet apart at 100 yards. When you can do it twice, move to 200 with 2 inch dots. Thanks for thew idea.

USMC 70-74 Sgt PI Semper Fi
Unread 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I also have a 300wby,and love it. Mine is ''factory'' though the rifle can most likely outperform the shooter(me) I dont feel -my- setup would do well at 1k. NOT because of caliber. Ive been told of wonderful performance well past 1k, and beyond with 300wby. but -my- rifle wears a ''factory'' bbl and stock, and may not perform to the standard that I want it to at that distance. Heck I might not either, but Im working on changing that. I havent taken the ''leap'' into a full on ''L/R'' rifle yet, but its rapidly aproaching, as I too have the ''sickness''. In my case I would need the right tool(complete package) for the job or Id be chasing gohsts expecting ultimate performance from an incomplete package(including bettering my own personal ability).
Obviously you shoot well as does your rifle for groups like that at 500yds, so maybe your both up to the task. Its definately worth the try! And you certianly have the apropriate caliber to try it with. But youve been bitten by the bug so to speak, so ultimate satisfaction will be a never ending quest. Id say go for it and squeeze as much performance out of your rifle as you can and see what you can do. Just be warned....The sickness grows stronger with every milestone achieved. Good luck
Wby's are usually very accurate I have yet to shoot one that I couldn't get 3/4 moa out of. I did the shooting for a shop in the 80's an early 90's for load development and accuracy. The most puzzling thing I found out back then was that the canoe paddle savages would almost always be the best shooting guns to go through the shop. These were not even bought at the shop but at K-Mart for I think 199 with sling, scope and glasses plugs etc. Most of the guys would bring in there Mark V's saying that something was wrong because they couldn't get it to shoot into 4" at 100 yds. I don't remember one that had a problem but we would bed them and shoot them anyway. Usually the fierce muzzle blast and recoil created a flinch after the first box of ammo. The rest is self explanatory. The other thing was this my 300wby classic made by Rem. had some of the checkering missing on the right side of the forearm. I was told by the owner that Rem did this to mark the guns that were special meaning squared etc. I never met anyone that could confirm this. Anyone ever hear of such a thing???
I thought Dan was yanking my chain so if you have any information otherwise I'd love to hear it