Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Nature Photography

When all else fails...go to the NP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM

When all else fails...go to the NP!

Thought I'd share a few pics from a hike from this past August. It's always good, no matter how tough hunting has been to go to Rocky Mtn National Park to get a look at what I need to see! The elk were into the rut and this particular bull just about made me have an accident in my shorts. His nose came to within 3 feet of mine at one point and his mood was...lets just say he was all testosterone. If it hadn't been for the large boulders I could have been antler decorations! Very exciting! All these critters are from a long day of walking fairly remote trails in the park.

The elk was just off the road however and he obviously knows he's in a national park and protected...that or he enjoyed "playing" with me earlier and knows he had the upper hand!

Last edited by SPlisken; 01-06-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Better photo layout
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: When all else fails...go to the NP!

Great pics...
He looks like he was sticking his tongue out at you in the last one
Are you near colorado springs colorado?Seems like we had hunted close to that park in the past is why I ask.

Bigbuck
Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Seems like we had hunted close to that park in the past is why I ask.

Bigbuck
Hi Bigbuck, thanks! No, Rocky Mtn National Park is north-central Colorado. All of it is north of I-70 (the highway splitting CO in half N to S). It is worth a drive to though if you are anywhere in the state. Guaranteed photos/video of a large herd during the rut (late Aug/Sept typically) and many other times of the year.

John
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPlisken View Post
Hi Bigbuck, thanks! No, Rocky Mtn National Park is north-central Colorado. All of it is north of I-70 (the highway splitting CO in half N to S). It is worth a drive to though if you are anywhere in the state. Guaranteed photos/video of a large herd during the rut (late Aug/Sept typically) and many other times of the year.

John

John, Thanks for the pics again and you live in a wonderful place . I long for the oppertunity to hunt Colorado once again . I've hunted in the steamboat springs area twice and one year at gunnison if that's how it's spelled/pronounced are you close to gunnison?

Bigbuck
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM

It just occurred to me that this forum has a worldwide audience and everyone may not know what all of the critters above are. From the top are: Coyote, Yellow-bellied Marmot, Wapiti ("Elk", cervus elaphus nelsoni). While in the national park this also borders GMU20 where I live. It is a good news/ bad news scenario...the bad is that the park makes it easy for animals to go someplace safe during the season...otherwise it is all pretty good, we get bigger, healthier animals, and more of them.

I'll add more pics to this thread shortly...I'm going through a computer change-over and need to restore all of my photos.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
. I've hunted in the steamboat springs area twice and one year at gunnison if that's how it's spelled/pronounced are you close to gunnison?

Bigbuck
"Close" is a relative term in the west as you may know No I am closer to Steamboat than Gunnison, but only just. Due to my remote central location in Colorado almost anywhere is a long ways for me...but when you live where I do you don't need to travel much!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Great pictures!!!
Looks you had a great time while taking the pictures at the elk, he sure is a big nice bull elk.
Congrats, and thanks for sharing.
No Elk like that in my country.