Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Nature Photography

Pictures of a nice buck.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

check ya pm's bought send ya one!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

i've got my doubts that's a 2 yr old, i'd say 3 or 4 probably. score in the 130's.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Dave,
Ill give him 3 found out he is about in my backyard but he aint a 4.....Glad to see we agree on his score! I just hope he gets him!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Nyles, don't claim to be very knowledgeable on southern deer, but i might bet you one of those catfish dinners he's 4 years old. look at the angle the horns come out of his head. pretty low angle. on young deer, the angle of the horns where they exit the head are much closer together, like the dead one pictured on the ground. he looks 3 to me. look at the depth of the body and how the head looks a little small by comparison. granted the side view doesn't look like an old roman nose fella, but not all deer get that. but the front views are different. he's got me a little on the fence. but i'm bettin there's just as good a chance he's 4 as 3. again, southern deer aren't my specialty, and it's been a long time since i've killed one that size. as a side note, i'll drink almost any kind of beer you buy with that catfish dinner!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

All I know is he is much bigger than any deer I saw this season. Hope you put the "smackdown" on him next year so we can all find out for sure;) Oh, and I don't think he's going to get any smaller good luck, AL
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

Hey, yall it aint over he's got nine days left to get him!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHow View Post
What do you think of it? What do you think it would score?
Nikon D40 55-200mmVR

I want to start off by saying that this is mature buck. To me he's got a full neck blending into the brisket area. My best guess he would be a 5yr old. Good disciplin on letting him go to grow another year. I also enjoy taking photographs of deer and like to watch them mature year after year ~ it's like catch and release. As far as the score goes I don't think he will crack 130 due to his short tine length, but he does have good main beam length. Looks like a 9pt in the picture. The break down on scoring a deer in % of what gives you more on the score is: Main Beam, Tine Length, Mass and then Width. I really enjoy seeing pictures of mature deer. If it's any kind of an indicator look at the other deer in the picture: The spike is for sure a 1yr old and then there is what looks like a 6pt in the picture - he may go 2/3yrs old. You can see the difference in bodies from the pictures.... That's what I see.. Keep the pictures coming..