Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Nature Photography

Pennsylvania ELK...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

Pennsylvania ELK...

Our limited opportunity season is about to begin, these elk are all in the non hunting area and are safe... the 1 governors tag was filled last with a 412 incher... I know most of you are this site are westerners and may not be aware of the quality of the bull's that are running around in this state but they are here and in good numbers... not sure what this first one would score but I saw two in the hunting area that dwarfed all of these ones.. too bad the tags are so difficult to get...been applying for 13 years I think and not a sniff.. enjoy these pics...

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pennsylvania ELK...

Just like Michigan. We have a nice elk herd here, in the lower upper thumb area but same deal. You can buy a lotto chance for years and not a whiff. In fact, I know of no one who has ever gotten a tag.

No issue with deer tags, Elk, no way....
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Have applied several times also and NO TAG, if and when you are one of the LUCKY one's to get a tag you have to go to ELK SCHOOL the week before the season begins.
Also most have to have a GUIDE with them to show them the ropes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's a government conspiracy in Michigan. Only the Governor and the seated Lansing politicians get tags. Everyone else pays for their chance but gets nothing.

Reminds me of the Ravenna Aresenal in Ravenna, Ohio. I used to live (many years ago) out that way and the Aresenal was full of fantastic deer that only Ohio politicians could hunt. No citizens allowed.

It's all BS.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 AM
Bronze Member

SIDECAR....that makes me laugh because I finally drew a Ravenna Arsenal tag last season after applying for a dozen of more years... I was so excited that I darn near crappolaed my pants... about two weeks before the hunt I was notified that the first hunt of the season would be for antlerless deer!!!!!!!!!! I was so peoded that I didn't even go..imagine after twelve years telling me I had to shoot a doe!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Must be that the newest crop of politicians are anti-hunting because back when I lived out there, there was no way any tags ever got issued, or maybe there are still enough politician/hunters that the bucks ar all spoken for ahead of time but to 'keep the peace', citizens can pull an anterless tag ocassionally.

Myself, I'd rather have a doe because it winds up in the freezer anyway and does are more palitable (not as gamey), the meat texture is finer and my wife won't allow me to put mounts on the wall.......

They (big bucks) used to stand at the fence and look out, I mean monsters....

I bet the same thing goes on over at Harrisburg at the government installation north of TMI off the pike.

I would have used the doe tag anyway..... just me.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

My family has a camp just outside the Quehanna Wild Area in Elk County. I used to go up and watch the elk when I lived in State College. You are right there are some real toads up there! I loved seeing them.
The thing is, most of them are pretty much tame pets that can be approached without them spooking too bad. If PGC were to issue so many tags that it wasn't hard to draw one, the elk populations would drop to critical levels because it would be like a repeat of the buffalo shoots on the great plains.

By the way, great pictures OP!