Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Nature Photography

Mean little Badgers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mean little Badgers

Bruce,

I work out in the red desert a lot and badgers will actually turn around and fight 100% of the time when you get too close to them. I am not allowed to have a gun in the desert but my dad told me their heads are very soft and that a tap on the head will kill them. So I decided to try it with a shovel because i see so many when I am there. He was right a suprisingly light smack on the head with the spade of a shovel puts them out instantly. One time I was chasing one with a shovel and triped right as I caught up to him when he turned around to fight me... needless to say I found my feet rather quickley and smacked his noggin. I have only had one badger that seemed to have a hard head out of the 10 or so I have slain with a shovel.
Too bad they like to eat all the priairie dogs cause they are cool creatures.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

I never would've guessed that their heads are soft. Shovel distance, that's too close for comfort for this fat boy!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

We had a Texan move up here and work on the ranch and he didn't know badger attitude and he shot one one day and it started digging out a hole so he though he'd pull it out by it's stub tail, I guess there was a short sprint and a hail of gun fire involved after he got it out. He gave them a little more respect after that

Killed a lot of badgers in coyote sets, I tried the head bonking thing but found it to be unreliable after having a couple come back to life while in the back of the truck, I cross there eyes with a 22lr, it just makes life easier.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
SBruce,

That had to be hilarious. It's not when it's happening but after the fact
you can't do nothing but laugh! Surely put a smile on my face.
Yea, it was kinda funny after the fact. My buddies got a good laugh out of it too. Too bad someone wasn't videoing.....no, maybe not. I'd probably never live that one down!