Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Nature Photography

Gettin Started??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 AM

Re: Gettin Started??????

Lerch,

Hello from Big Sky country! Canon lenses are great! Go with the XTi. I have the XT and love it. It has similar features to the 30D, but is much lighter and physically smaller. It is also a little less sturdy, but I have had no problems with my XT. the XT/XTi and 30d use the same lenses. A 300mm lense is a good start, but really start saving your pennies for a canon "L" super telephoto. The glass is top, and I mean top, shelf. Canon L lenses are the big white lenses you see on sidelines at sporting events. They work well with a magnifier, 1.4x or 2x, and you can really reach out there with the combo. A stabilizing lense (most L lenses are stabilized) is also a good choice, especially for in-flight bird photos and times when you don't want to pack the tripod.

Have Fun!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Hello. I'd go for the 30D if I were you. Once you get more proficient, you'll like it much better than the XT/XTi. I even usually opt to use it over my 1DMkIIN. The one major cost to wildlife photography is a nice piece of long glass. I have the Canon 500mm/4 L IS USM and 300mm/2.8 L IS USM and they are so valuable for getting good wildlife pics. Here's a few from last weekend with the 30D and 300/2.8 IS L USM. I was thinking about posting some more in their own thread but here's a preview. If you have any questions, please let me know as this is an area where I can be of much help to you. Take care.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
SPONSOR

Why do you recommend the 30D over the XTi?? Is the 30D a Nikon??? how far were you from the coyote in that pic??? I am very interested in getting started in this, thanks for the beautiful pics. I can get a nice starter kit with the XTi with 2 lenses, one is a 300mm not USM, with bunch of other stuff on ebay for just under $1k. I'll take any info you can give me

thanks again
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Lerch, thanks for the comments on my pics. The 30D is a Canon and basically it's the next model up from the XTi. There are quite a few differences between the 30D and the XTi, some are subtle, some are significant. A few of the main (important) differences are spot metering, 5 frames per second continuous shooting, 1/3 stop ISO adjustments, and shutter life/durability. Trust me on this, if you plan on getting in to photography any further than just purely casual, you'll be better off with the 30D. You can also find them for a good price right now since it's replacement is about to be released. Also, don't buy too much extra things you won't be needing, they're usually a waste of money. A nice camera body, a wide zoom (say 16-35, 17-40, 24-70...something like that) for landscapes, a good telephoto 300mm minimum for wildlife, and a good sturdy tripod and ballhead will get you started. A few other small items would be nice too, remote release cable for landscapes, macro lens, fast prime lens, etc... I'm just scratching the surface here so if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Rob
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
SPONSOR

How necessary is it to get the big L USM type lenses for wildlife photography??? I could spend $1K maybe close to $2K to get going but there aint no way i can drop 6K on a lense, Kirby Allen would go out of business [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am wanting to take close up photos of ducks but i doubt i can get much closer than 30-50yds.

thanks

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 06-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Well, it really depends on what you want out of your images. There are some great lenses for what you're describing that can be had for much less than the "big boys". I'd recommend the EF 400mm/5.6 USM. The glass is as good as any canon makes. Where you save money is the max aperature is relatively slow (f/5.6) versus the big f/4's and f/2.8's, and no Image Stabilization. Just means you have to keep shutter speeds up and probably use a slightly higher ISO setting than with the bigger prime lenses, but image quality can be just as good. Even this lens isn't cheap, but it will reward you with great quality images, since you're putting the money and effort into learning a SLR camera system. You can save some money on your landscape type wide zoom since most landscape photography is at smaller aperatures (f7.1/ - f/16). Almost all lenses are acceptable at these aperatures, where people spend alot of money is for lenses that are sharp/contrasty at max aperatures.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:50 AM
PUBLISHER

VTi, well put, I agree.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors