81 to 100 yards 33 7.69%
Over 100 yards 35 8.16%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

Tom H, I am all for practice but shooting your bow indoors where the room temp is 60-70 degrees will not be the same as shooting your bow outside when it is 40-50 degrees. the limbs of the bow will shoot very different. Same with shoot a rifle, br shooting is different than shooting off hand after hiking up rough terrain. Im not lecturing anyone just say there are irresponsible people out there. congrats on the tags
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehuntr View Post
Tom H, I am all for practice but shooting your bow indoors where the room temp is 60-70 degrees will not be the same as shooting your bow outside when it is 40-50 degrees. the limbs of the bow will shoot very different. Same with shoot a rifle, br shooting is different than shooting off hand after hiking up rough terrain. Im not lecturing anyone just say there are irresponsible people out there. congrats on the tags

I live north east of Colorado Spring @ 7700ft unfortunate we made the news as I live in Black Forest and we were one of the lucky ones.

Like I said I have a range at my house and I live in whats called Plains unit but I don't hunt here I go to the high country and hunt around timberline and wife hunts lower down.

As to this claim of your about climate change shooting bow indoors and outdoors I guess if you only had one bow that might be a problem but since I own more than one bow not much of a problem.

You seem to be lecturing about your hunting standards and that's fine if you can find someone who cares which I don't.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the attitude, so you shoot a bow indoors and then you take a different bow and shoot that outdoors? So temperature has no effect on accuracy and equipment?
like i said, im not lecturing anyone, stating experience from hunting everywhere from alaska to washington to missouri to georgia. I have seen guys who just want to kill animals for fun and i have seen sportmen and women who have respect, MY OWN OPINION.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehuntr View Post
Amen to that!! For me "hunting" is vastly different in so many ways than what I do at a range. Hunting, for me, isn't trying to hit live 3D targets at any range! And at a rifle range?! It's like, "You've got to be kidding!" watching some folks try to hit an 8" bull at 100 yards and that is from a bench!! And when you include having to duck for cover when they sweep the crowd with their muzzle! Phew...
So, bow or rifle, when you add in everything you get in a hunt, and if you have any respect for the animal you're hunting, you'll spend years getting ready to take that shot! A "Lucky Shot" is never in the equation!

Plus my big freezer is already full. I think of hunting as "trying to outwit a smart animal in it's habitat" and when you do, giving thanks to the animal for everything it's provided you. I guess it's just me and people have told me I live in the wrong century. I love shooting at long range both with a bow and gun but add in a game animal and I darn well will be sure of my shot regardless of the range. Just how my daddy raised me. Heck, I have almost as much fun playing around with the deer on my property, seeing just how close I can get without them even knowing I'm around. But I still aspire to the skills needed to take whatever tool is in my hands and use it to take a trophy at the limits rangewise of MY ability, not someone I watch at a range!
I just won't attempt a shot I'm not sure of and I respect those who possess the skills to take a 70 yard shot! I'm better off with a rifle at 700 yards! And that is why, for me, I just try to add a yard or two to my comfort zone with a recurve!
I know there are guys who can consistently take 50 yard shots with a recurve or longbow in hunting situations but right now, it sure isn't me!!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

I shoot a 55# Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve, no sights just a Bare bow. Back in the late 70's I shot a large grizzle bear in the front left leg at 80 Yards. Now if he had been real and not made out of paper I would never.have taken that shot. The cool part of the story was I was shooting against 3 guys with compound bows and none of them came close to hitting him. There sight pins only went to 60 yards.
Now for the longest shot on a live.animal was 20 yards on a squirrel.
Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Friend Kris just shot a antelope at 92 yrds, bowhunter montana. he is also one of the best archery shots i have ever met also. he shoots competitive all over and his indoors scores are usually perfect and high x counts.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

63-1/2 yds.
BowTech Assassin
100gr Shuttle T's over Gold Tip 5575's @ 314 FPS.

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill-image.jpg

Nothing to brag about horn-wise. But I was Rifle bear hunting as a first priority.
Only brought out the bow cause he was there, & I wanted meat. Didn't draw a rifle tag, so I practiced all summer with my new bow. Payed off I guess, but not much "hunting" involved. Saw a deer, walked up & shot the deer. Believe it or not, I passed on even bringing my bow for the first 8 bucks I saw on opening day. But after I saw a whitetail I got very angry, & wanted to have a bow handy incase I saw another one. Those midget rat size deer are ruining my Mule Deer country!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"