81 to 100 yards 34 7.78%
Over 100 yards 36 8.24%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

I practice out to 100 yards, and I'm pretty good and making a good shot, usually. But I learned a long time ago that alot can go wrong with long distance bow shots.

I had a bull at 67 yards, very slightly quartered away. He busted me when I went to full draw, but he was standing still, my pins were steady on the mark, so I let an arrow fly. After the shot, he had time to whirl just a bit and it caused my arrow hit alot further back that I had aimed. After a 1/2 mile tracking job I found my bull. I felt pretty lucky to find him. I don't think I'd try that again unless the circumstances were better.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 PM

Shouldn't the question be, "What's your closest bow kill?" The object of archery hunting is to get close. That's the real challenge isn't it. I've seen trail cam pics and run across too many elk in the woods that have been lost. My closest kill on a bull was three steps. After we locked eyes I sunk an arrow in him.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

I get a kick out of these guys that say they shoot 100-140yds yeah right. I shoot alot I have a 70yd pin on my bow. I have shot targets at 100 yds one time and I could hit the target which was about 4ft by 4ft. But my arrows were all over the place there is no way I would try to shoot a animal at 100yds or farther. If you guys are so good with your bows why don't you go to a ASA or IBO shoot and see how you do I'm thinking not so good. The top guys like Levi Morgan and Dan McCarthy would whoop you guys. My buddy hunts with Dan and he said Dan has a 110yd pin on his bow but would never shoot a deer past 50 or 60. When shooting that far there could be an object in your path that you don't see that your arrow could hit.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee31 View Post
I get a kick out of these guys that say they shoot 100-140yds yeah right. I shoot alot I have a 70yd pin on my bow. I have shot targets at 100 yds one time and I could hit the target which was about 4ft by 4ft. But my arrows were all over the place there is no way I would try to shoot a animal at 100yds or farther. If you guys are so good with your bows why don't you go to a ASA or IBO shoot and see how you do I'm thinking not so good. The top guys like Levi Morgan and Dan McCarthy would whoop you guys. My buddy hunts with Dan and he said Dan has a 110yd pin on his bow but would never shoot a deer past 50 or 60. When shooting that far there could be an object in your path that you don't see that your arrow could hit.

This is a good post. I have shot a lot of Tournament archery and know Dan who is one of the best shooters in the world. I have shot elk out to seventy yards, because it was a wide open shot and the target was plenty big. With a tournament set up, not a hunting rig, I can hold 8-10 inch groups at 100 yards, I know other shooters, Dan, Reo, Jesse Broadwater who can hold 4-6 inch groups at that range. Arrow flight, wind, and time of flight are all a factor at long distance. If there is any wind, it will severely effect a arrow with a broadhead on it at that range. Plus they are bleeding off a tremendous amount of energy. I am by no means saying that no one has killed animals at that range, but with so many factors that could effect the arrow it is somewhat irresponsible.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

I find it amusing that just because some can't do something they don't think it is possible. As far as the pros go, these guys are good but do you really think they are the best in the world just because they are one of a few hundred guys that compete at the game??
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken arrow View Post
I find it amusing that just because some can't do something they don't think it is possible. As far as the pros go, these guys are good but do you really think they are the best in the world just because they are one of a few hundred guys that compete at the game??
While it is very possible to make the long shots over 100 yds, it is just questionable about whether or not it should be taken given a number of variables.

As to whether the pros are the best shooters in the world, I have no question in my mind that they are. For one you said the best of a "few hundred shooters". First there are thousands of people shooting tournament archery, and the same handful of guys win all the time. Second, these guys make a living shooting a bow. Reo Wilde made 50,000 in three days at a single tournament in February, and has won that shoot 3 times in the last 5 years. Jesse has won four cars in the last 6 years shooting a bow. If the people not shooting tournaments were better than those guys, they would be shooting tournaments and getting free equipment from any manufacturer of their choosing. It is simply a quite lucrative profession if you are good enough to win. So YES they are the best shooters in the world.

But to the original post, long shots are possible and sometimes ethical. Other times they are very much not ethical. And that is a personal question and judgement that each hunter has to make. Personally I would be questioning my wisdom to take a shot on an animal much over 70 yards.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
While it is very possible to make the long shots over 100 yds, it is just questionable about whether or not it should be taken given a number of variables.

As to whether the pros are the best shooters in the world, I have no question in my mind that they are. For one you said the best of a "few hundred shooters". First there are thousands of people shooting tournament archery, and the same handful of guys win all the time. Second, these guys make a living shooting a bow. Reo Wilde made 50,000 in three days at a single tournament in February, and has won that shoot 3 times in the last 5 years. Jesse has won four cars in the last 6 years shooting a bow. If the people not shooting tournaments were better than those guys, they would be shooting tournaments and getting free equipment from any manufacturer of their choosing. It is simply a quite lucrative profession if you are good enough to win. So YES they are the best shooters in the world.

But to the original post, long shots are possible and sometimes ethical. Other times they are very much not ethical. And that is a personal question and judgement that each hunter has to make. Personally I would be questioning my wisdom to take a shot on an animal much over 70 yards.
I had a guy at work that said he believed any shot over 50 yards was unethical, and is some circumstances it is. But his comment still bothered me, I'm a better shooter than he is

But seriously, I think you nailed it here, I agree with this 100%.