61 to 80 yards 82 18.81%
81 to 100 yards 34 7.80%
Over 100 yards 36 8.26%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Re: Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

That"s Fantastic! One day you're baby boy will do the same.

PM
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Once shot a doe at 25 yards and it ran out to 50 and just stood there with blood dripping from the bottom of it's chest.
I ranged it, mocked another arrow and drilled it through the chest again.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

This is the first time in quite a while I have looked at the Archery page.
My longest Kill shot on a deer was 67 yards with an Oregon Black Knight (the original Black Knight) in 1996. It is one amazing bow, but difficult to shoot. My velocity was over 300 FPS and I had been practicing for quite a while out to 75 yards shooting 3-4 inch groups. I don't believe I am as good now as I used to be back in the day.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Bronze Member

My longest kill was last fall. It was on a bull moose who I had seen multiple times. He had an injury to his back hip and was packing his back leg for 3 weeks at least. I was elk hunting one morning and the moose walked out in front of me at 150 yards. I shoot a moveable pin sight that has a computer generated chart. I have tested the chart out to 130 yards and it is dead on. Anyways I had friends with me that day and one took the range. We snuck down until we ran out of cover. The bull was at 117 yards. I slid my pin to 117 settled the pin and squeezed my back. Instantly my buddy said I'm gonna shoot way high. I was shooting luminocks so it looked like a fireball topping the trees. It was like watching in slow motion as the arrow came down. It drilled the bull and the luminock disappeared. The bull took off and we ran down until I got a glance at he bull. He was 50 yards standing broadside. I let another arrow go. The bull jumped and made it 10 yards further.

I was shooting 85 ft/lbs of KE. The 1st arrow went all the way through and broke off right in front of the fletch on the off side. The second arrow was lodged into the shoulder blade on the off side.

In the pictures you can see how much lower the exit hole was from the arrow dropping. Of the 2 entry holes, the one furthest from the shoulder was the first arrow.

When we skinned the bull out he had a fairly recent bullet wound. Bullet hit high and lodged in part of the spine??? Looked like a small caliber. Rifle season was still 3 weeks away.

Anyways, I know a lot of guys will say that bs or irresponsible. Like someone one here mentioned, each opportunity presents a different scenario. This day the bull was very slightly quartered away, not spooky, no wind and my nerves were under control so I took the shot. A week later I passed up a bull elk not a 1/2 mile from there at 60 yards. I was revved and couldn't get a great shot.

I've been shooting for 26 years now and predominantly bow hunt. With proper training and a crap load of practice, a hundred yards is not that hard. Would I prefer a 15 yard shot, you bet

My previous record on an animal was 114. Poor coyote didn't know what him.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill-image.jpg  

Last edited by speeders; 02-01-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry could only attach one pic. Here is the exit.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill-image.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Great site and some very inspirational stories, I live in Darwin Australia, I have recently started hunting and I practice out to 80 meters on my block but hunting wild pigs the group I hunt with tend to sneak up real close.

I shoot a PSE Vendetta set to 65 Pounds.

Also doesn’t help that we mostly hunt on wetlands (vision wise).

When you sneak up on a pig around my neck of the woods you have to be sure your not competing or being hunted in turn by a snapping handbag. On one occasion I managed to creep within 10 meters or a pig only to find a four and a half meter salty had managed to get about the same distance away on the other side of the pig. I graciously let him have that one.

My longest shot to date barrelled a 94kg, 22cm tusk boar was 35 meters feeding on a rather ripe buffalo carcass that was half submerged in a salty swamp.

I usually don’t shoot outside 20 meters and about 70% of the time I shoot within 10 meters. I suppose there is no real reason I can’t take longer shots I just enjoy the sneak.

Hunt well and look out for your mates, and drop me a line if you ever find yourself kicking back in Darwin with a couple of days to spare.

Last edited by Pigsta; 02-14-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Because Im a numpty and dont know how to use spell check the first time around
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

38 yds