81 to 100 yards 34 7.78%
Over 100 yards 36 8.24%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
PUBLISHER

Your Longest Archery Big Game Kill

What was your longest killing shot on a big game animal?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Antelope this year 55 yards...

Jason
The New Mexico Sportsman
Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Varmint Hunter

Once upon a time long ago there was an expression that we used.
Depending on the the exact circumstances it went something like this- "Are those words made out of chocolate?"

Now then if you look at the distribution of results for rifle longest shots and for archery longest shots you will see that they are almost exactly the same distribution. From which we can deduce that either the bowhunters are just as big of liars as the rifle hunters or that there are about the same percentage of bowhunters who make the really difficult shots as there are rifle hunters. Secondly we can deduce that most people do not shoot past 80 yards or 800 yards but those few that do will shoot a long long ways because they have practiced long and hard to do so.light bulb
Old 01-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

About 7 years ago I shot a large doe at a lasered 65yds. She was with 6 others and dwarfed them. I know the deer in my area and have never seen this one. Not only was she big but there was something strange about her but I didn't pick up my bino's, just ranged and concentrated on the shot. The shot was good and I recovered her quickly. The strange thing about her.....SHE HAD A COLLAR ON HER NECK!!! Not a game and fish collar but a large bandanna tied around her neck. That doe weighed 200 lbs easy and took up the entire bed of my buddies Isuzu pick up. I have pictures of her at home somewhere and when I get back I'll see if I can find them to post. By the way, after work almost everyday (unless weather or the schedule doesn't allow) I shoot my bow. I have a bow range set up out to 75 yards and am very consistent out to that range if the wind isn't kicking.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Varmint Hunter

Once upon a time long ago there was an expression that we used.
Depending on the the exact circumstances it went something like this- "Are those words made out of chocolate?"

Now then if you look at the distribution of results for rifle longest shots and for archery longest shots you will see that they are almost exactly the same distribution. From which we can deduce that either the bowhunters are just as big of liars as the rifle hunters or that there are about the same percentage of bowhunters who make the really difficult shots as there are rifle hunters. Secondly we can deduce that most people do not shoot past 80 yards or 800 yards but those few that do will shoot a long long ways because they have practiced long and hard to do so.light bulb
Following your reasoning, the guys who are making rifle kills @ 800+ yards are also making the 100+ yard bow kills and are probably the same guys who are catching the 60 lb striped bass. Sooooo, I'd still like to hear their stories.

I know lots of guys who have made 800+ yard rifle kills, including myself, but I've yet to meet anyone who has made a 100+ yard bowkill. If you guys are out there; let's hear your stories.

And while I'm not too sure about the chocolate thing, I am sure that there is often a fudge factor included in many incredible stories. That's why the BIGGEST one is the "one that got away".
Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Have tryed bow hunting big game with a bow but I would make for one starving Indian :o Got a couple of coon and a few prairie dogs though
This dog was shot @ 53 yards by a buddy, no pics but I got one @ just under 50 that day but it took a couple of tries