Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Your Closest Archery Big Game Kill

8 point whitetail....20 yards. He came in closer, but had to wait for him to move for a proper shot. So close I could smell him.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Nice stories. I didn't ge tto hunt last year, I will this year although limited time. Nothing like bowhunting. Oh, yea, 7 yds whitetail doe.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

Closest was a 4 pt elk at 4 feet. I was just off the trail, and my buddy was cow calling about 40 yds further down the line. This small bull came trotting towards me down the trail. I let out a cow call just before he was straight across from me, and he hesitated long enough for me to get the shot.
Next close shot was a 5 pt elk at 11 yds. This one was the most exciting as we were bugling back and forth for a while before I got the shot.
Have had lots of close encounters with moose. My closest shot was about 12 to 15 yds. I usually do the calling for moose, so my partners have had the close encounters. I called one in for my buddy at 3 feet. He was on his knees and he had to lean back and up to shoot. Talk about adrenaline. I have shot about a dozen moose and the average shots have been under 20 yds.
I'm heading out again on Sept 3'rd for our annual Elk hunt for about 10 days and our annual moose hunt will start on Sept 26'th.
Can't wait to hear the bugles and grunts again. Music to my ears.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube204 View Post
Closest was a 4 pt elk at 4 feet. I was just off the trail, and my buddy was cow calling about 40 yds further down the line. This small bull came trotting towards me down the trail. I let out a cow call just before he was straight across from me, and he hesitated long enough for me to get the shot.
Next close shot was a 5 pt elk at 11 yds. This one was the most exciting as we were bugling back and forth for a while before I got the shot.
Have had lots of close encounters with moose. My closest shot was about 12 to 15 yds. I usually do the calling for moose, so my partners have had the close encounters. I called one in for my buddy at 3 feet. He was on his knees and he had to lean back and up to shoot. Talk about adrenaline. I have shot about a dozen moose and the average shots have been under 20 yds.
I'm heading out again on Sept 3'rd for our annual Elk hunt for about 10 days and our annual moose hunt will start on Sept 26'th.
Can't wait to hear the bugles and grunts again. Music to my ears.
What do you use for a moose call. My uncle drew a bull moose tag this year. I very much want to call it in for him, but don't know what to use for a call.

My closest bow kill was a cow elk @ about 4yrds. Spotted her feeding about 30yrds away. She was feeding up the hill towards me, so I sat and waited for her to turn broad side. She just kept feeding closer. She finally got right to me. So as she was feeding her head went behind the tree directly in front of me. I then drew my bow. She kept feeding, starting to turn accross me in order to not walk over my position. As she moved, the bow followed her. She seemed to notice this out of the corner of her eye, took one more step to look at me, and I loosed the arrow. Very exciting.

Have had others this close but could not get the shot because they were straight on. Thats when you wonder if they are going to stomp you, or run. Nothing gets more exciting.

Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Bronze Member

For the bull grunt, I use a funnel made of birch bark, and for the cow call I just cup my hands together. All my vocalization is done with my own voice. I live in an area where the moose are around all the time, so I have had lots of opportunities to ovbserve and listen to their sounds right from off of my deck.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube204 View Post
For the bull grunt, I use a funnel made of birch bark, and for the cow call I just cup my hands together. All my vocalization is done with my own voice. I live in an area where the moose are around all the time, so I have had lots of opportunities to ovbserve and listen to their sounds right from off of my deck.
Thanks for the info. I've been around them a fair bit during the rut, but not enough to be confident in my vocal.

Do you know of a good call?

Sorry for going in a diff direction. Send me a pm if you do.

Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

I've seen guys use the "Wayne Carleton" type with the reed. There are a few others out there that utilize the reed style and have seen guys have success with them.