Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

what are you shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: what are you shooting

I am shooting a homemade 60# osage longbow witha fishtail splice at the handle and a 60# vintage Bear Kodiak recurve. Cedar shafts and Zwickey heads. I went the traditional route about 10 years ago and haven't picked up a bow with training wheels since.

I will admit, compound bows have come a long way and are simply amazing to me, but I have no desire to switch back now. Traditional bows are just too much fun.

Dirty Steve
Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Mathews LX @ 68lbs
Gold Tip Prohunters w/ Grim Reaper Broadhead
Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Well, I have been shooting since I was a little kid. Been a Field Staff shooter for many of the top bow companies such as Pearson, Oregon Bow Company, Hoyt, High Country just to name a few. I have taken many game animals and have enjoyed that style of hunting for many years.

I then got hooked on pistol hunting, still keeping it a close range style of hunting and have been in that for about 7 years.

Now I am addicted to Long Range Rifles and have been in that for probably 4 years. Naturally these sports have all over lapped in some fashion.

I used to shoot that heavy weight bows like James Jones. Although I am no body builder. But back in the day that was one of the only ways to gain speed was to go up in draw weight. Now days with my bow set up at 68 lbs. I am shooting about 340fps. it blows thru anything I have shot with it.

BowTech Allegiance 31+" @ 68lbs. plus a string loop
I have made my own set of cables and string to make this draw length.
Okie stabilizer
Seven Deadly pins by Spot Hog
Drop Away Trophy Hunter
Easton Arrow Speed 340's and 400's w/kick spin vanes
FreeFlight release or a Scotts Mongoose release
I always use a Hip Quiver made by Chuck Adams
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I am shooting a Bowtech 29 at 65 lbs.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Two UltraTecs @ 70#, 29 1/2 inch FMJ, QAD UltraRests, RazorCap BH, SoftLoc quivers.

These new parallel limb bows sure shoot nice but if it ain't broke, why fix it!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

After 32 years of having to give up the sport due to a broken collar bone from a motorcycle accident, I finally got back into it about 4 years ago. Now at the age of 46 it's like I never lost a beat, although I know I have. It really gets me to thinking just how far I could have gone. Anyhow, went to the Archery shop with a fist full of money to buy a Matthews hands down, but I walked out with:

Hoyt Cybertech @ 62Lbs.
Tiger Tuff rest
Extreme sights
Cobra release
PSE 300 with Fletchings @ 277 fps
100 gr. Rocky Mountain Titanium / Simmons RazorShark
Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Use to shoot a Golden Eagle Hawk Carbine 29 1/2" draw 2213 easton shafts w/100grain Thunderhead 70#. Shot at 252fps. Then the left shoulder went south (rotator cuff) cranked it back to 60# then the right shoulder (rotator cuuf), then the torn labrium. Went to a Parker Magnum crossbow 150# w/an Excalibur scope, carbon shafts w/100grain Grimreapers (awesome!!)326fps.That thing whacks 'em. Hey I had to go the handicapped route. Never killed anything over 30 yards.. that's what bow huntin's about ain't it..gettin close. Just recovering from open heart (4/23/07) hope I can still cock the thing....then I got get up the tree w/my API climber or the Timber Tall Lite or one of the 13 permenant stands I got! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I would much rather be shooting a compound as that crossbow is a pain in the @%& to manuver while trecking to the trees.