Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

View Poll Results: What brand of bow do you shoot?
PSE 101 17.38%
Bear 26 4.48%
Hoyt 146 25.13%
Bow Tech 118 20.31%
Diamond 28 4.82%
Ross 9 1.55%
Mathews 184 31.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

What bow brand do you shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What bow brand do you shoot

Thanks Rick, -I do agree, more than 75 yards doesn't seem ethical to me either. I do think that hunters and the DEC have to work with integrity. I ended up buying a piece of land secluded next to the state land here as safety is an issue for the deer and us hunters. Last year not more than 300 yards across a distant road I knew was there some guy or 2 shot about 12 times in 2 minutes! Our thought was he is either target practicing or a bad shot or an idiot or all 3. He had a shotgun and about 10 minutes later 2 deer appeared in front of us. Lucky for us. But it does scare the heck out of me to think that a semi auto shotgun or next an ar-15 in the wrong hands is just not safe for deer or other hunters. This year I am happy I shouldn't have to worry about that. I too think that the DEC is going to have to be in the field a bit more and ethics should be considered a long with #1 safety hand in hand.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Bronze Member

Prime shift
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

I shoot and hunt with both Bowtech and Mathews.

Certainly not a fan boy by any stretch, they all have something to offer someone, and nowadays it gets down to what you want to do with it and how your going to use it more than which one is the best.

When I started out I didn't even know if I was going to be able to shoot long enough to break in the string having chronic tendon issues in both elbows, so after shooting a ton of them, I went with the Bowtech Tomkat package. It simply had a nice enough cycle that it didn't bother anything when I drew it. After two years of shooting the string off it, the wife got me an Admiral for our anniversary.

A couple of year later my hunting pardner presented me with a Drenalin so as to have something to play around with using lighter weight arrows and such. The cycle on it is awesome and I have since shot several other Mathews bows, and again, as well as a ton of others.

I have my Tomkat set up shooting 340 FMJ's at 250 and use it mostly for hog hunting, or if I am feeling good I take some carbons out and shoot a few limb rats. It is simply so easy to shoot and so very accurate.

The Admiral I set up with some heavy weights FMJ 300's with 20gr inserts. Topped with 100gr heads thy hit right at 575grs, and I hunt deer and hogs with it exclusively. Even with the heavies it will sling them out at 265fps and thee ain't no stopping it until it hits dirt on the other side.

The Drenalin is set up for deer and hogs, but I am trying to stay away from the latter. I am shooting Carbon Express from it and with the 100gr tips it is right in the 280fps range. It's a toss up between it and the Admiral as to which is the more quite, but with the lighter arrows the Drenalin wins hands down.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM

I shoot a PSE Vendetta xs compound using a release aid and a Bear Super Grizzly Recurve using tabs. I also shoot a home made Mongolian style bow with a thumb ring. The more I shoot the further I am drawn into minimalist type shooting. I am finding the more I get into instinctive shooting the less I enjoy using sites. Still I am struggling to get good groups at 40 meters shooting instinctively whilst I can achieve much better results beyond 60 meters with my PSE.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Does anyone out there know anything about Obsession bows?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Ordered a new G5 prime impact 2weeks ago. Cannot wait to get it. My old bow was an alpine I have been shooting for almost 10 years now.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM

I have shot Hoyt for 20 years. Very long story short I am now a convert. Bowtech Insanity CPXL. 70# 31.5 inch draw shooting a 489 grain arrow at a smooth 312 ft/sec. I only had a chest shot on a BIG bugling, slobbering, 5x5 bull this year at 25 yrds. No lie, pass through from chest through heart, 1 lung, blew up liver and came out his scrotum. Sounded like you hit him in the chest with a 2x4. Knocked him 2 steps back, he emptied his chest on everything within a 10 yrd radius. Made it 2 jumps and landed sprawled out on all fours. Clean kill.. No Quick and ethical very much so... R chest shots recommended, no.. But when your bow can shoot 6 in groups at 80 yrds all day... This was a chip shot. Its not bragging when its the bow.