Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

View Poll Results: What brand of bow do you shoot?
PSE 101 17.38%
Bear 26 4.48%
Hoyt 146 25.13%
Bow Tech 118 20.31%
Diamond 28 4.82%
Ross 9 1.55%
Mathews 184 31.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

What bow brand do you shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What bow brand do you shoot

I have added a Strother Inspire and a Hoyt AlphaBurner to my collection.
I also have a EliteGT500 and a Hoyt AM35 converted to Z3 cams.
All bows are around 65# DW and 29" DL.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

I'mlooking for a cross bow as the last week or deer herre is muzzleloading and crossbow. I think the pse high end is more than I need. Any recommendations for something in the 700 or less range. I'd guess my shots would be 100 and less, typically 75 yards. Light weight and or compact with a decent trigger is my preference.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'mlooking for a cross bow as the last week or deer herre is muzzleloading and crossbow. I think the pse high end is more than I need. Any recommendations for something in the 700 or less range. I'd guess my shots would be 100 and less, typically 75 yards. Light weight and or compact with a decent trigger is my preference.
And there lies the problem a lot of "bow hunters" have with a crossbow season, you want to shoot gun ranges with a cross bow that you obviously have no experience with. Why? I have been bow hunting for 40+ years all over the country and my longest shot to date has been 40yds on a bull elk which I did get. Part of the allure for bow hunting at least for most of us is getting close, that is the challenge and the most exciting thing about bow hunting. At 100 yds you won't know that feeling. Too bad, good luck though.

Matthews, Phantom broadheads, and a lot of practice I shoot at least 3 times a week all year long. ( It's not that I can't make a 75-100 yd.shot I choose not too except in 3D competion,or just for the ell of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

I hear you Rick. Here in NY we have so many restrictions on hunting and each one seems to reduce the number of hunters and ownership of firearms. There is even a group here in NY dead set against crossbow even though there is only going to be 1 week at the end of the season when deer are hiding!

I think a week of crossbow is a great idea. I know several veterans that can't hunt much any more, women, children, older hunters that love bow but can't handle them because of either health or strength. So let's not let them hunt and discourage hunting as much as we can.

Your not selfish are you?

Good Luck with your logic. You are just plain selfish, admit it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

How do you figure selfish. All I was getting at was use equipment with in the peramiters it is designed for. How many people have you introduce to hunting this year ? Let alone the past 40.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry I jumped on you Rick, okay. Were loosing hunting here because of restrictions and our NY bow association essentially is dead set against crossbows for anything. So, I don't mean to assume you are too. I'm really all for safe, conservation hunting and some people here are limited by health and or strength with bows and this reduces hunters in general. Our state is pretty firearms restrictive and less hunters makes it harder and more expensive to hunt or have a firearm for personal protection. So I'm defensive toward a group here that is trying to stop it. I know some of them and they hunt with firearms and bows and frankly I suspect they take deer out of season? The only thing I can figure is that they are thinking about themselves as evidenced by how much I see them hunt and with their choice of instruments. They lobby against anything that seems to interfere with their ideas and I believe their motives are not fair. They reject the ideas on crossbows with the kind of attitude that I can only see lacks consideration for other would be hunters. My apology's for calling you selfish. Sorry about that. Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Apology accepted I actually tried to post this on Sat. from my cell phone I was In eastern Pa. for the weekend for some reason I couldn't log in not really sure what the problem was,or is..No I have nothing against crossbows, or the people that hunt with them I know they fill a nich for those that can't shoot conventional type bows as you stated. There may come a day I have to shoot one but I'm only 63 I think I still have a few more years climbing into tree stands with my Matthews.( I hope) Good Lord willing. Thankfully We have a little more liberal view on guns in Indiana. I hope that continues. Our problem here is the firearms season is way too long close to four weeks when you add the muzzle loader season. Just to much pressure on the deer IMO. It used to be shot gun only then they added pistols now you can use rifles shooting straight walled pistol case ammunition from 44mag. upto 50cal. bushmaster.

At the rate they are going I figure it is only a matter of time till they include center fire rifles and lengthen the season a few more weeks anything to take in the all mighty dollar. Ok enough of my rant. No my only problem with the crossbow is the longer shoots a lot of people take with them including a couple of guys I personally know. I can see a 50yd. shot with one but beyond that there is a good chance of wounding more than killing and I feel the game we hunt deserves better. I hope you are successful in your endevours.

Rick