Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

View Poll Results: What brand of bow do you shoot?
PSE 101 17.38%
Bear 26 4.48%
Hoyt 146 25.13%
Bow Tech 118 20.31%
Diamond 28 4.82%
Ross 9 1.55%
Mathews 184 31.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

What bow brand do you shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: What bow brand do you shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Lancaster Archery Supply is down the street from me, one of the largest suppliers in the world, I think specifically to target, but they do a ton of hunting business as well, and they outfit members of the US national and Olympic teams, have releases that cannot be fired and they frown upon drawing a bow without an arrow knocked or with the fingers.

Have you never seen a video of a bow from any of the major companies explode when dry fired? A severed bow string from a dropped razor sharp broad head does not constitute a dry fire, the bow isn't drawn when you drop your broadhead on it.

Lots of places have signs up in their showrooms - dry fire it, you bought it. This isn't some mystical rumor in the archery community that dry firing bows is dangerous and can destroy cams, axles, limbs, etc.

Did I mention any Manufacturer or dealership by name?

I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, Yes, I seen my share of Dry fires at
the archery ranges where the bows were being shot. Once in a while a bow
will explode by being dry fired and I CERTAINLY DON'T PROMOTE THE IDEA YOU SHOULD DRY FIRE ANY BOW.

If I stepped on you toes, I apologize.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hunter View Post
Did I mention any Manufacturer or dealership by name?

I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, Yes, I seen my share of Dry fires at
the archery ranges where the bows were being shot. Once in a while a bow
will explode by being dry fired and I CERTAINLY DON'T PROMOTE THE IDEA YOU SHOULD DRY FIRE ANY BOW.

If I stepped on you toes, I apologize.
Not at all, just seemed odd you were surprised that you couldn't draw a bow, at a show, without an arrow knocked, without a release. Like you said, there are atupid people out there. Most shops I've been in won't let you draw like that on their indoor range, let alone at a show. If I came across as rude, that wasn't my intent. Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to have the opinion that a now that can't withstand being dry fired is garbage and I disagree with that. I wouldn't draw a bow again after it had been dry fired until one of the guys at LAS had their hands on it to check it out.

I've just never seen properly maintained bow strings just break. If they're maintained, they should last for years. If they're worn, stop shooting and replace them. If a string were to break during a draw, it wouldn't be at full draw where the let off is going to reduce the weight to maintain the draw (obviously with a compound).

Anyway, I'll shoot you a PM if I ever have a dry fired bow to sell. ;)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Not at all, just seemed odd you were surprised that you couldn't draw a bow, at a show, without an arrow knocked, without a release. Like you said, there are atupid people out there. Most shops I've been in won't let you draw like that on their indoor range, let alone at a show. If I came across as rude, that wasn't my intent. Maybe I misread your post but you seemed to have the opinion that a now that can't withstand being dry fired is garbage and I disagree with that. I wouldn't draw a bow again after it had been dry fired until one of the guys at LAS had their hands on it to check it out.

I've just never seen properly maintained bow strings just break. If they're maintained, they should last for years. If they're worn, stop shooting and replace them. If a string were to break during a draw, it wouldn't be at full draw where the let off is going to reduce the weight to maintain the draw (obviously with a compound).

I get it now-it's OK to draw that sob if you have an arrow with a lethal broadhead in it and a release with a hair trigger just waiting to get breathed on-makes perfect sense to those morons.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Are you finished plowing that field? You are certianly welcome to your opinion as am I. If you were a Shop owner and you may well be. I would cross your threshold twice, once in and once out.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hunter View Post
Are you finished plowing that field? You are certianly welcome to your opinion as am I. If you were a Shop owner and you may well be. I would cross your threshold twice, once in and once out.
Think what you want. I have no dog in the fight, but you all can keep ignoring the dangers of dry firing bows all you want. And if my view on this lines up with the way my shop runs their business, and they're the largest in the world, I think they're doing something right. I mean, I could agree with you on this, but then we'd both be wrong.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Currently I'm shooting a old Fred Bear Badge that I bought used (extensively at that) from a friend who took good care of it, and I've been shooting it for quite some time now shooting bare bow (no sights) but I plan on upgrading to a Mathews HeliM soon. Sincerely- Ace762.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 AM

New Breed Genetix, 65# solid limbs... Awesome bow!