Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

View Poll Results: What brand of bow do you shoot?
PSE 101 17.38%
Bear 26 4.48%
Hoyt 146 25.13%
Bow Tech 118 20.31%
Diamond 28 4.82%
Ross 9 1.55%
Mathews 184 31.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

What bow brand do you shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: What bow brand do you shoot

It does not matter what brand of bow you shoot or what type of bow you shoot. It does not matter what brand of arrow you shoot or whether you shoot fingers or release. The brands are to identify the leading and most popular selling equipment on the market for the minute.

The Equipment is only as good as the shooter using it. If you have matched equipment, that is matched to you and you put in the hours of practice needed, to become proficient in its use, there is no reason you cannot compete with the best there is.

The people who are at the top of their discipline got there by spending hours
upon hours of PRACTICE. There wasn't one of them born with a bow or a rifle in their hands.

Manufactures shooter's have one job and that is to sell the manufactures equipment.

Been there, done that.

Last edited by 1Hunter; 03-12-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hunter View Post
It does not matter what brand of bow you shoot or what type of bow you shoot. It does not matter what brand of arrow you shoot or whether you shoot fingers or release. The brands are to identify the leading and most popular selling equipment on the market for the minute.

The Equipment is only as good as the shooter using it. If you have matched equipment, that is matched to you and you put in the hours of practice needed, to become proficient in its use, there is no reason you cannot compete with the best there is.

The people who are at the top of their discipline got there by spending hours
upon hours of PRACTICE. There wasn't one of them born with a bow or a rifle in their hands.

Manufactures shooter's have one job and that is to sell the manufactures equipment.

Been there, done that.
Which is why my $300 leftover clearance package shoots just as well as the $1,200 Hoyt Carbon bow and everything else on the shelf that's pushing $1,000. It's certainly not as perfectly silent, but like you said, shooter's skills, properly tuned equipment, and practice will always trump the price tag of the equipment in the lane next to you.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

Now there is a man who thinks like me - frugally. Yes, you left 5 fps on the table by not getting that newest, latest but who cares. Well, the guys with more money than ....., I guess. Kind of like golf equipment - there's always something just a teeny bit better for you to buy.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

It's interesting at the lengths manufacturers will go to to sell their equipment.
I was at a Sportsman's Show the other weekend. I came to an Archery display
where they had all the cables locked together so you could not draw the bow.

I know they put ties on the pistols and rifles for safety reasons, I can live with that, there are stupid people about.

But ties on a bow cable? I asked about why the ties. Imagine, it was so the bow could not be drawn. they were afraid some one might dry fire the bow.

Whoa! A bow that won't survive a dry fire isn't worth bringing home. What happens when a bow string breaks? You get to buy a new Bow. I don't
believe that would be covered under warranty. These bows were priced from
$700 to 1100.00 each.

Just imagine for a moment what a unintentionally dropped broad-head arrow can do to a bow string or string cables?

All bow manufactures advise against dry fireing the bow, that's common sense. But, it does happen to the best of folks.

Last edited by 1Hunter; 03-13-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hunter View Post
It's interesting at the lengths manufacturers will go to to sell their equipment.
I was at a Sportsman's Show the other weekend. I came to an Archery display
where they had all the cables locked together so you could not draw the bow.

I know they put ties on the pistols and rifles for safety reasons, I can live with that, there are stupid people about.

But ties on a bow cable? I asked about why the ties. Imagine, it was so the bow could not be drawn. they were afraid some one might dry fire the bow.

Whoa! A bow that won't survive a dry fire isn't worth bringing home. What happens when a bow string breaks? You get to buy a new Bow. I don't
believe that would be covered under warranty. These bows were priced from
$700 to 1100.00 each.

Just imagine for a moment what a unintentionally dropped broad-head arrow can do to a bow string or string cables?

All bow manufactures advise against dry fireing the bow, that's common sense. But, it does happen to the best of folks.
Lancaster Archery Supply is down the street from me, one of the largest suppliers in the world, I think specifically to target, but they do a ton of hunting business as well, and they outfit members of the US national and Olympic teams, have releases that cannot be fired and they frown upon drawing a bow without an arrow knocked or with the fingers.

Have you never seen a video of a bow from any of the major companies explode when dry fired? A severed bow string from a dropped razor sharp broad head does not constitute a dry fire, the bow isn't drawn when you drop your broadhead on it.

Lots of places have signs up in their showrooms - dry fire it, you bought it. This isn't some mystical rumor in the archery community that dry firing bows is dangerous and can destroy cams, axles, limbs, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Bronze Member

If they think they can interest me in a bow I can't even draw, they're nuts. Maybe the draw is so sloppy that that's their real purpose. I personally have never seen anyone accidentally dry fire.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBoIHN View Post
If they think they can interest me in a bow I can't even draw, they're nuts. Maybe the draw is so sloppy that that's their real purpose. I personally have never seen anyone accidentally dry fire.
It's ugly when it happens and the sound is quite unique. LAS will set up any bow you want to try with sights, rest, the works and actually have you shoot it prior to buying. They want you set up completely and they service after the sale. I'll never buy another new bow anywhere else as long as I'm within a reasonable driving distance.