8.4 grams/inch 5 55.56%
9.3 grams/inch 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Which Weight Arrow Should I Go With? 8.4 or 9.3 per/inch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Which Weight Arrow Should I Go With? 8.4 or 9.3 per/inch

I am looking at ordering new arrows, but I am not sure which ones I should go with. I can go with the 8.4 grains/inch or 9.3 grains/inch. I realize the 9.3 will probably give me better penetration, but the 8.4 will give me a flatter trajectory.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT maxed out at 73lbs. I would like these arrows to be a "do all" for both target/league and hunting. I hunt whitetails and turkey in midwest Wisconsin. I also shoot league in the off season and turn my bow down to 58lbs for indoor target league (60 arrows @ 20 yards per night).

I haven't weighed them, but the arrows these will be replacing are the standard Carbon Express 300 series. Not sure what their weight per inch is. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am on a mixed batch of arrows, and I think my scores at league are suffering (or maybe I suck!)

Last edited by jasonprox700; 03-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Weight Arrow Should I Go With? 8.4 or 9.3 per/inch

Id say 9.3 gr per in for a couple of reasons. 1 theyre easier to come by with the correct splined arrows you will need (for both draw wt.'s 2 different splines) and my personal experience is lighter arrows are more ''finniky'' to paper-tune and get dialed. Just my experience with lighter arrows. And 2, some states like Washington St. have a minnimum arrow wt. for hunting, so if you were to go lighter arrows and and tune your bow to them, youd have to re-do everything again to hunt in some other states.
Youll do well with any choice you make. Technology changes daily and Im sure in the year and a half since I sold my Bowtech, lots of things changed for the better in archery equipment.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

There are a lot of factors that come into play when selecting a shaft. Out west, we often end up taking shots at longer distances than hunters back east. The country is wide open and more often than not, you have to go to where the game is. Blind or stand hunting occurs, but at a much lower level. I would venture to say that the primary way to take game out west is the spot-and-stalk method. Things happen fast and sometimes there is just no way to quickly range the animal. A lighter shaft/arrow shoots flatter, therefore there is more margin for error when judging distances. Even when elk are on the menu, I go with the lighter shaft. I use the Montec 125 gr. fixed braodhead. My 28.5" draw length brings the total weight of my arrow to approx. 430 grains. My Matthews is set @ 70 lbs. and moves the 430 gr. arrow at 285 fps.

Last edited by azsugarbear; 03-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

I would go with the 8.4. I know the whole arguement about heavier gets more penatration but with a good sharp broadhead the lighter one will still slice right through. I shoot the Beman 400s that i belive are 8.4 gpi and shoot them at 330 fps. Killed a deer 2 years ago at 88 yards and it was a complete pass through so speed does kill
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

your type of cam, arrow length, and weight all play a part in which arrow you should use. check out bemans shaft selector tool. keep in mind that if you are on the line and could go either way, a stiffer shaft is usually easier to tune. with that being said, i am shooting 84 lbs with a 25" arrow on a new maxxis at 321 fps, and i am using the ics 400. I was planning on going stiffer with the 340 but the 400 tuned very nicely so i am using it. for what its worth I was shooting a 29" 400 out of my old bow so i could shoot the same arrows as my dad and the 29" 400 wouldnt tune through paper. it started to tune around 27" and at 25" was perfect. here's a link to the shaft selector, good luck.

Beman - First in Carbon Arrows | Shaft Selector
Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Id say 9.3 gr per in for a couple of reasons. 1 theyre easier to come by with the correct splined arrows you will need (for both draw wt.'s 2 different splines) and my personal experience is lighter arrows are more ''finniky'' to paper-tune and get dialed. Just my experience with lighter arrows. And 2, some states like Washington St. have a minnimum arrow wt. for hunting, so if you were to go lighter arrows and and tune your bow to them, youd have to re-do everything again to hunt in some other states.
Youll do well with any choice you make. Technology changes daily and Im sure in the year and a half since I sold my Bowtech, lots of things changed for the better in archery equipment.
+1

Heavy arrows are just like heavy bullets they have all of the advantages except trajectory.

Go with the heaviest you feel comfortable with and dont worry about trajectory because
if you do a lot of shooting there is no down side.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 03-13-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Heavy is my choice. Maybe not yours. Try both then decide for yourself.