Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Waiting on 1st elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Waiting on 1st elk

Good luck to you redsparky. I usually hunt in unit 16 or 22. Maybe I have been lucky or maybe it's because I hunt in the wilderness area. My buddy and I always put in together and have always gotten our first choice (knock on wood).
Old 12-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Looking at this years report you have not gotten lucky but have really good odds on drawing. Then again it is like the units I hunt with small localized elk herds you have to know where they are to be able to hunt them . My old deer hunting grounds were east of you in unit 24 so I do know something of the elk herds in that area. On a public forum I won't say which hunts you are putting in for but with my limited knowledge I ran the numbers and they are good.

I had the misfortune of having a hunting show kill a bull on camera in my unit so odds went from 50/50 down to less than 10% to draw as about 1200 applicants put in for 100 tags during the ML season. Things you can't account for year to year. I did get drawn for the mid October hunt and the bulls were still bugling a little but were bedded down 20 minutes after sunrise and out of beds about 20 minutes before sunset.

As they say in The Hunger Games, yes thank my daughter, "May the odds be ever in your favor."
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Bronze Member

Any luck in the draw redsparky?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

I PM'ed you as you responded to one of the other post of mine.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member

I would not go to Colorado. OTC hunts are probably the hardest hunts to get a bull, let alone see a bull. I went on an OTC rifle elk hunt in Colorado and only saw 2 rag horn bulls and trust me, we were hunting hard. We saw a decent 6x7 the day before the opener and it was on private land. The next day we went back to try and find the bull and hope that he moved onto public, but 3 trucks were parked bugling and looking for him in their spotting scopes. We had to buy a Colorado land map because everywhere we went we were on private land. Just giving some advice and there are many better states than Colorado.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtechboss177 View Post
I would not go to Colorado. OTC hunts are probably the hardest hunts to get a bull, let alone see a bull. I went on an OTC rifle elk hunt in Colorado and only saw 2 rag horn bulls and trust me, we were hunting hard. We saw a decent 6x7 the day before the opener and it was on private land. The next day we went back to try and find the bull and hope that he moved onto public, but 3 trucks were parked bugling and looking for him in their spotting scopes. We had to buy a Colorado land map because everywhere we went we were on private land. Just giving some advice and there are many better states than Colorado.
I stongly disagree there are over 90 units in Colorado with available OTC tags for the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons with decent odds of a branch antlered bull if you know where to go, like anywhere you cant expect to jump out of the truck and run into a herd. There is also either sex archery tags available OTC in a large portion of the state. I rifle hunted Colorado for 11yrs and seen plenty of elk killed some and missed some opportunities as well. But the last couple of years my hunting partners and I decided to give the bow a try, and I've never had to much fun in my life (first time experiencing the elk rut) first year shot a cow the 1st evening, really didn't wanna eat that tag and you could say I was a little trigger happy. Last year I had a little more control of myself and passed on the cows, and came home with a respectable 5x5 it was by no means a easy hunt, but ive never heard anyone whose hunted elk especially with a bow say that it was easy... All I can say is pick a place and take the time to learn everything you can about