Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Tell us about your longest bow kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tell us about your longest bow kill

Whitetail - 62 yards.

Was sneaking through the woods. Saw a doe approaching on a trail towards my direction (80 yards away). I stayed very still, mostly hidden behind a tree. While I was focusing on the deer that was still coming toward me, didn't notice two others approaching from a different direction.

I was not hidden from them, maybe they didn't know what I was, but they knew something was up. They ran a little ways away. This stopped the deer that I had been watching, she turned broadside at 62 yards. The doe did not know where I was, she was watching the other 2 and trying to figure it out.

I wanted to get a shot off while she was distracted and before the doe figured it out. I slowly drew back behind the tree, eased out so I had a clear shot and let it go. Ended up with a good doe and a highly enjoyed hunt.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Not sure of my longest, but if you in here in AL, you don't shoot at deer over 45 yds. with a bow. They will be in the next county before the arrow gets there.

I worked for a TV show on the Outdoor Channel for a couple of years of and on and we had video footage of someone shooting at a doe at 40 yds and she was out of the frame when the arrow got to where she was.

Our deer are too pressured for those type shots in most areas.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Bronze Member

78 yds mule deer doe.

i shoot at least 5days a week all summer (the other 2days are for rifle practice) out to 100 yards. That evening i practiced for a little over an hour when my 2 year old came out screaming she wanted to go hunting. Of course i cant tell her no so i grab my rangefinder and we head across the property. we decide to walk out and around the mill where a few dozen md normally hang out. When we reached the first coral we spotted 6 does in the short grass about 100 yards from our position. wanting to have a little fun we crawled through the muddy coral which made the average distance 80 yards. i ask my little girl to pick one out and she took a few moment to select one from the herd. i ranged the selected doe @ 78 yards, stood up behind the shed, drew my bow and stepped into the open. none of the deer noticed me and i was able to relax settle my 80 yard pin on the top of her heart and release. She never even looked up at the release but took off at a dead sprint when the arrow hit her. we waited 15 minutes and snuck out to where she had been standing. found my arrow and an awesome blood trail. i let the little one follow the blood trail the 70 yards it took the doe to expire.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Wow! Great hunt! It's always more fun when the little ones get to join in.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

yeahp the little one probably spends more time on the range then most adults do.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Tell us about your longest bow kill-raynesfirsthunt.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Bronze Member

P&y 10pt at 57yrd with a z7
Old 10-22-2011, 05:53 PM

I just got a new "longest" bow kill - Coyote at 83 yards. It was sweet!