Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

which side arm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: which side arm?

No bears around me but I like to carry my ruger bisley 45lc with 5.5" barrel. Not too heavy and carries a lot of punch when loaded properly.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
I've heard a report of a griz killed with a .22 lr, bear had it's mouth open and the .22 went in through the roof of the bear's mouth an into the brain. I wouldn't even think to tell anyone to carry a .22 because a grizzly was killed with one.

I wouldn't carry a pistol after a bear as a first choice but I do carry a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 with a barrel cut to 5" loaded with Cor-Bon 300 gr. flat nose when I don't have a rifle with me.

Gus
Well, comparing a .22 to a .357 Magnum is a bit of silly logic strawman, is it not? Could you tell me with a straight face that a .357 is more similar to a .22 than a .44?

You do realize that the .454 Casull is fairly new on the scene, and plenty of bear attacks were stopped before it was invented?

I think it stands to reason that any rifle is better than any handgun...and, consequently, the largest handgun you can control is better than anything smaller. I would rather have a .357 Magnum than an empty hand because the .454 I had on hand was too heavy or intimidating. Of course I'd rather have a 338 Magnum than a .454.

I was relating a real-life example....which, to me, is worth a lot more than rambling internet opinions.

That said, I chose a 41 Magnum as the smallest I was comfortable with.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Well, comparing a .22 to a .357 Magnum is a bit of silly logic strawman, is it not? Could you tell me with a straight face that a .357 is more similar to a .22 than a .44?

You do realize that the .454 Casull is fairly new on the scene, and plenty of bear attacks were stopped before it was invented?

I think it stands to reason that any rifle is better than any handgun...and, consequently, the largest handgun you can control is better than anything smaller. I would rather have a .357 Magnum than an empty hand because the .454 I had on hand was too heavy or intimidating. Of course I'd rather have a 338 Magnum than a .454.

I was relating a real-life example....which, to me, is worth a lot more than rambling internet opinions.

That said, I chose a 41 Magnum as the smallest I was comfortable with.
It wasn't an internet tale, it was a real life tale and that doesn't make a 22 or a 357 a good choice for bear protection.

You do realize that plenty of bear attacks were stopped before firearms were invented.

If a 41 Magnum is the smallest you were comfortable with, what is the largest you were comfortable with?

Gus
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
It wasn't an internet tale, it was a real life tale and that doesn't make a 22 or a 357 a good choice for bear protection.

You do realize that plenty of bear attacks were stopped before firearms were invented.

If a 41 Magnum is the smallest you were comfortable with, what is the largest you were comfortable with?

Gus
Well, you can't put the performance of a .22 and a .357 Magnum in the same ballpark statement and expect to be taken seriously. This is why I referred to your post as a rambling internet opinion not to be taken seriously. Since I doubt anyone here has done a massive test of penetration and terminal performance on grizzly bears, anyone who is so authoritatively dismissive of a caliber which many do use....and of anyone's opinion on the matter...is immediately suspect.

The problem with uber-boomer 454, 460 and 500 handguns..besides weight...is that people tend to just not shoot them that much. The people I know who own 454s -- for bear protection -- don't put more than a couple cylinders of real 454 ammo through them per year, if that. I would rather be defending my life with a smaller magnum handgun that I put hundreds of rounds a year through, and knew I could hit with, than with a uber-magnum that was rarely shot with full-power loads, if at all.

Last edited by ATH; 10-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Well, you can't put the performance of a .22 and a .357 Magnum in the same ballpark statement and expect to be taken seriously. This is why I referred to your post as a rambling internet opinion not to be taken seriously. Since I doubt anyone here has done a massive test of penetration and terminal performance on grizzly bears, anyone who is so authoritatively dismissive of a caliber which many do use....and of anyone's opinion on the matter...is immediately suspect.

The problem with uber-boomer 454, 460 and 500 handguns..besides weight...is that people tend to just not shoot them that much. The people I know who own 454s -- for bear protection -- don't put more than a couple cylinders of real 454 ammo through them per year, if that. I would rather be defending my life with a smaller magnum handgun that I put hundreds of rounds a year through, and knew I could hit with, than with a uber-magnum that was rarely shot with full-power loads, if at all.
Ever shoot a grizzly?

Gus
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ever shoot a grizzly?

Gus
Ever shoot a grizzly with a .357 Magnum?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

i bowhunt idaho and occasionally carry my GLOCK 23 .40 sw with only about 6-7 rnds of 180 gold dots. I also have a crimson trace laser grip that is sighted in very well at 40 yds. I don't see much reason for packing 13 + rnds, if something comes out and you get a shot or two or three it should be dead or gone. If i was going for more than a day hunt i might pack 1 full mag. The laser grip is a good thing for me:
1- i cannot shoot an auto as accurately as a revolver and it gives me a fast target acquistion.
2- I am more worried about animals in the woods that can eat me when I can't see them; being that at night when i'm making my way back outta the woods.

Bugling elk in september archery season in Idaho at a late, dark dusk as I am making my way back across a ridge towards where i parked my wheeler and happened to bugle up some furry friends. WOLVES! had three of the bastards walk out in front of me looking for that bugling bull. it was just enough light that i could make out there shapes and the shades of the hides. Closest one at about 25 yds then about 35 and 40. first reaction was to pick my jaw up off the ground, drop my bow and draw my glock. the nice fluffy gray coat of the wolf at 25 yds turned bright red from the laser (even though i have nite sights i wouldn't want to waste the seconds of trying to line up three dots on a target that i could hardly see) Anyhow... I got off three rounds in the SOB and they all took off in the timber. As i strapped my bow to my pack and got to walking out with pistol and flashlight in hand those freaking wolves starting howling behind me all the way back to my wheeler. that'll get your blood pumping.