close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Reply

which side arm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29  
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 105
Re: which side arm?

No bears around me but I like to carry my ruger bisley 45lc with 5.5" barrel. Not too heavy and carries a lot of punch when loaded properly.
Reply With Quote
  •   #30  
    Unread 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
    ATH ATH is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Lizton, IN
    Posts: 749
    Re: which side arm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    I've heard a report of a griz killed with a .22 lr, bear had it's mouth open and the .22 went in through the roof of the bear's mouth an into the brain. I wouldn't even think to tell anyone to carry a .22 because a grizzly was killed with one.

    I wouldn't carry a pistol after a bear as a first choice but I do carry a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 with a barrel cut to 5" loaded with Cor-Bon 300 gr. flat nose when I don't have a rifle with me.

    Gus
    Well, comparing a .22 to a .357 Magnum is a bit of silly logic strawman, is it not? Could you tell me with a straight face that a .357 is more similar to a .22 than a .44?

    You do realize that the .454 Casull is fairly new on the scene, and plenty of bear attacks were stopped before it was invented?

    I think it stands to reason that any rifle is better than any handgun...and, consequently, the largest handgun you can control is better than anything smaller. I would rather have a .357 Magnum than an empty hand because the .454 I had on hand was too heavy or intimidating. Of course I'd rather have a 338 Magnum than a .454.

    I was relating a real-life example....which, to me, is worth a lot more than rambling internet opinions.

    That said, I chose a 41 Magnum as the smallest I was comfortable with.
    Reply With Quote

      #31  
    Unread 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Talkeetna, Alaska
    Posts: 220
    Re: which side arm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATH View Post
    Well, comparing a .22 to a .357 Magnum is a bit of silly logic strawman, is it not? Could you tell me with a straight face that a .357 is more similar to a .22 than a .44?

    You do realize that the .454 Casull is fairly new on the scene, and plenty of bear attacks were stopped before it was invented?

    I think it stands to reason that any rifle is better than any handgun...and, consequently, the largest handgun you can control is better than anything smaller. I would rather have a .357 Magnum than an empty hand because the .454 I had on hand was too heavy or intimidating. Of course I'd rather have a 338 Magnum than a .454.

    I was relating a real-life example....which, to me, is worth a lot more than rambling internet opinions.

    That said, I chose a 41 Magnum as the smallest I was comfortable with.
    It wasn't an internet tale, it was a real life tale and that doesn't make a 22 or a 357 a good choice for bear protection.

    You do realize that plenty of bear attacks were stopped before firearms were invented.

    If a 41 Magnum is the smallest you were comfortable with, what is the largest you were comfortable with?

    Gus
    Reply With Quote
      #32  
    Unread 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM
    ATH ATH is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Lizton, IN
    Posts: 749
    Re: which side arm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    It wasn't an internet tale, it was a real life tale and that doesn't make a 22 or a 357 a good choice for bear protection.

    You do realize that plenty of bear attacks were stopped before firearms were invented.

    If a 41 Magnum is the smallest you were comfortable with, what is the largest you were comfortable with?

    Gus
    Well, you can't put the performance of a .22 and a .357 Magnum in the same ballpark statement and expect to be taken seriously. This is why I referred to your post as a rambling internet opinion not to be taken seriously. Since I doubt anyone here has done a massive test of penetration and terminal performance on grizzly bears, anyone who is so authoritatively dismissive of a caliber which many do use....and of anyone's opinion on the matter...is immediately suspect.

    The problem with uber-boomer 454, 460 and 500 handguns..besides weight...is that people tend to just not shoot them that much. The people I know who own 454s -- for bear protection -- don't put more than a couple cylinders of real 454 ammo through them per year, if that. I would rather be defending my life with a smaller magnum handgun that I put hundreds of rounds a year through, and knew I could hit with, than with a uber-magnum that was rarely shot with full-power loads, if at all.

    Last edited by ATH; 10-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #33  
    Unread 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Talkeetna, Alaska
    Posts: 220
    Re: which side arm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATH View Post
    Well, you can't put the performance of a .22 and a .357 Magnum in the same ballpark statement and expect to be taken seriously. This is why I referred to your post as a rambling internet opinion not to be taken seriously. Since I doubt anyone here has done a massive test of penetration and terminal performance on grizzly bears, anyone who is so authoritatively dismissive of a caliber which many do use....and of anyone's opinion on the matter...is immediately suspect.

    The problem with uber-boomer 454, 460 and 500 handguns..besides weight...is that people tend to just not shoot them that much. The people I know who own 454s -- for bear protection -- don't put more than a couple cylinders of real 454 ammo through them per year, if that. I would rather be defending my life with a smaller magnum handgun that I put hundreds of rounds a year through, and knew I could hit with, than with a uber-magnum that was rarely shot with full-power loads, if at all.
    Ever shoot a grizzly?

    Gus
    Reply With Quote
      #34  
    Unread 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM
    ATH ATH is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Lizton, IN
    Posts: 749
    Re: which side arm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Ever shoot a grizzly?

    Gus
    Ever shoot a grizzly with a .357 Magnum?
    Reply With Quote
      #35  
    Unread 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lewiston, Id
    Posts: 156
    Re: which side arm?

    i bowhunt idaho and occasionally carry my GLOCK 23 .40 sw with only about 6-7 rnds of 180 gold dots. I also have a crimson trace laser grip that is sighted in very well at 40 yds. I don't see much reason for packing 13 + rnds, if something comes out and you get a shot or two or three it should be dead or gone. If i was going for more than a day hunt i might pack 1 full mag. The laser grip is a good thing for me:
    1- i cannot shoot an auto as accurately as a revolver and it gives me a fast target acquistion.
    2- I am more worried about animals in the woods that can eat me when I can't see them; being that at night when i'm making my way back outta the woods.

    Bugling elk in september archery season in Idaho at a late, dark dusk as I am making my way back across a ridge towards where i parked my wheeler and happened to bugle up some furry friends. WOLVES! had three of the bastards walk out in front of me looking for that bugling bull. it was just enough light that i could make out there shapes and the shades of the hides. Closest one at about 25 yds then about 35 and 40. first reaction was to pick my jaw up off the ground, drop my bow and draw my glock. the nice fluffy gray coat of the wolf at 25 yds turned bright red from the laser (even though i have nite sights i wouldn't want to waste the seconds of trying to line up three dots on a target that i could hardly see) Anyhow... I got off three rounds in the SOB and they all took off in the timber. As i strapped my bow to my pack and got to walking out with pistol and flashlight in hand those freaking wolves starting howling behind me all the way back to my wheeler. that'll get your blood pumping.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: which side arm?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    AccuBonds vs Ballistic Tips - side by side comparisons slickyboyboo Reloading 7 12-18-2010 04:30 PM
    Leica 1600 v. Swaro side my side eddybo Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 11 11-17-2010 08:52 AM
    Leica 1600 VS Fusion 1600 side by side test ShooterMedic Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 5 08-19-2010 04:41 PM
    mounting two spotting scopes side by side as binoculars locotrician Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 4 01-18-2009 12:05 PM
    The Negative Side of getting a 270 AM royinidaho General Discussion 10 10-02-2006 04:31 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC