Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Shoulder hit, one lung, long blood trail...found him!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Shoulder hit, one lung, long blood trail...found him!

I was in a treestand, in the middle of the woods, in a triple tree that hid my location and overlooked a scrape. During the last 2 minutes of light, on Saturday, I seen a deer that came to the scrape, stood up and raked at the overhanging branches and then left as quick as it came. I thought it was a huge doe, as I couldn't see any antlers, but thought it a strange activity for a doe.

Sunday evening, the same deer, came into the scrape. However, it was 15 minutes earlier, a lot more light and this guy was wearing some headgear. Hanging from my safety harness, I leaned out as far as I could (the buck was behind my treestand) and took the best shot that he offered.

At the release of the arrow, I heard a loud "crack". The obvious shoulder hit. He ran off and I gave him 40 minutes before taking up the trail. No blood or arrow, for 40 yards and then there was blood "splashes" for another 30 yards. Then I found my arrow, completely intact, with blood up to 16" of penetration. I felt better, but I wasn't done by a long way.

The blood trail continued for another 80 yards, but before exiting the woods, it slowed to a few drops. His line of travel, after leaving the woods was directly across a picked bean field...for another 700 yards. The tracking was going slow, ending up in a standing corn field, 2 hours later and with eyes looking back at me. He was still standing 2+ hours after the shot. He bolted further into the corn, when he seen my flashlight, so I decided to leave him until the morning.

I took up the blood trail in the corn, where the buck took off running and found him after another 170 yard "death run".

I learned a lot from this buck and the 1400 yard blood trail that he left behind. Despite a less than perfect shot, the Razor Trick gave me a blood trail that allowed me to find him...on Columbus Day. 230 lbs., 15" inside spread and 10 pts. A new Martin Cheetah was part of the equation too.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Re: Shoulder hit, one lung, long blood trail...found him!

Way to stick with it! Congrats!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shoulder hit, one lung, long blood trail...found him!

congrats and good job not giving up