Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Recomendation for BOOTS!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Bronze Member

Recomendation for BOOTS!!!!

I'm planning an archery elk hunt in CO in 2009 and wanted to know what kind of boots you all would reccomend? What should I look for in a good boot? Also what kind of socks do you reccomend to go with these boots?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Go with a boot/sock combination that is comfortable. The socks should wick moisture away from your feet well and the boots should be well broken in before you begin your hunt. I also recommend having at least two pair of boots to alternate between days as they will get wet inside from the sweat off of your feet. I use a 200 gram thinsulate and wool or cotton socks.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillajam View Post
I'm planning an archery elk hunt in CO in 2009 and wanted to know what kind of boots you all would reccomend? What should I look for in a good boot? Also what kind of socks do you reccomend to go with these boots?

Thanks
my 2cents...

Before buying two pairs buy one really nice pair. Get the best pair you can afford, make sure they are water proof but also breathable (like goretex). Personally hunting in CO in sept. i would want boots that have zero insulation. now after buying this first pair if you still have some money. buy a good pair of top quality boots with 600-800 grams of insulation. this way you'll have boots for hot or cold weather for the Colorado fall.
Even up high that time of year it isn't that cold here. I usually use my non-insulated boots until the end of october. If it does get a little cold then you can always put on thick wool socks but if the weather is typical colorado september then you'll want a boot that isn't too warm or you'll sweat and sweat.
just my opinion ;)
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Ok, I understand I need to look for good boots but how much I spend doesn't mean they are what I need. I've been to one of the big hunting stores (Bass Pro) and it seemed like the KID working the boot section was only interested in getting me to buy the newest and most expensive pair, and wasn't really telling me what to look for or why I needed these. I have no problem spending good money on a good pair of boots but I want to know why these are the ones for me.

I'm going to be doing a lot of walking on mountains and hillsides so what should I look for in the construction of the boot. Also how high should they be, 8" or maybe even 12"? I was figuring on not having too much insulation just because it's gonna be warm but I will probably get another like you said for cold weather because you never know.

Are those liner socks necessary? I've just never used them and was curious to see what you guys think.

I should get these boots soon so I can break them in for the hunt. I'm gonna go try some out this weekend and wanted some ideas of what kind to try.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, now I just need some more info.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillajam View Post
Ok, I understand I need to look for good boots but how much I spend doesn't mean they are what I need. I've been to one of the big hunting stores (Bass Pro) and it seemed like the KID working the boot section was only interested in getting me to buy the newest and most expensive pair, and wasn't really telling me what to look for or why I needed these. I have no problem spending good money on a good pair of boots but I want to know why these are the ones for me.

I'm going to be doing a lot of walking on mountains and hillsides so what should I look for in the construction of the boot. Also how high should they be, 8" or maybe even 12"? I was figuring on not having too much insulation just because it's gonna be warm but I will probably get another like you said for cold weather because you never know.

Are those liner socks necessary? I've just never used them and was curious to see what you guys think.

I should get these boots soon so I can break them in for the hunt. I'm gonna go try some out this weekend and wanted some ideas of what kind to try.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, now I just need some more info.
the problem with boots is that most people think there is one boot that will work for everything. I my opinion there isn't.

for a sept. archery hunt here is what i would get:

Cabela's -- Danner&#174 8 Striker II Boots

8" tall, no insulation, real leather, goretex waterproof but still breathable, light weight. you don't need those exact brand but something similar in terms of construction, warranty, quality of materials, height and weight.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

I like the Meindl boots and the US made Danners, but I know alot of guys like extremely light (hiking, bird hunting) boots for mountain hunting. It really only matters what fits your feet well. For socks, forget about cotton. They get wet from sweat and will get your feet cold. I wear Thorlos for everything (over the calf basketball socks) and I've never gotten a blister while hunting. My dad wears liner socks with his wool socks for two reasons, to help with the wicking away of moisture and for comfort.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the recomendations, I will probablly go with the hunting boots but was wondering about hiking boots. I ask this because I've also been wondering if hiking boots are supposed to be able to be worn all day while on a rugged hike why can't they be used for hunting. I'm not sure if I would actually get hiking boots for hunting but was curious to see if anyone else out there uses these for hunting. Pro's or cons, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks again