Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!

Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!-rifle-004.jpg

Killed by friend of mine with a slick trick bow set on 43#'s complete pass thru. Not bad for a girl

Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot everything from the plains game in africa to elk,deer and buffalo in the us with either wasp jackhammer or rage 2 blade. I shot a rage 2 blade clear threw a buffalo. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. Had a elk turn his head at the last moment and shot him in the NOSE with a rage extreme. He bled a steady trail and died in 400 yards. I know,you dont believe it but it happened. Not a fan of 3 blade but 2 blade rages are awsome especially the extreme. The muzzy mx3 flys much better than standard broadheads but still not as good as a expandable.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Might want to take a look at Wac'em Tritons. They fly just like field points out to 100 yards for me. They have gone threw every elk and deer I have shot with them so far, and I have never had to track an animal further than 60 yards. They are also fairly inexpensive.

Mike
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 AM

This has been an interesting thread.

This last fall I shot my first deer with a bow.

After practicing for over a year several times a week in the back yard, I knew I was good to go. Went back to the archery store, asked about broadheads, and not knowing any better listened to the guy tell me about Rage.

Wound up with the 100 grain 2-blade rage heads. Practiced with the target head and found it to be dead on where the practice tips hit.

Sitting on the ground in a home made short blind, drips and scent killer did the trick as a nice doe walked within 15 yards.

Perfect shot right behind shoulder as she quartered away to my right.

She ran a few seconds and I heard her pile up in the brush, it was about 30 yards away from where I shot her.

Blood trail was hard to spot the first few yards, and kept getting bigger and bigger.

Recovered the arrow the next day, complete pass through and completely covered in blood from tip to knock, thick thick blood, which after opening her up was from the vaporized heart. Both lungs too, holy smokes it was a mess. Didn't ruin any meat at least! Literally I scraped her heart out by hand like a big handful of bloody cookie dough!

I can honestly say that I was not sure how the head would perform. I knew if it didn't do it's job I would not use it again. So far the others on the shelf are safe for now.

The thing that makes me mad about the rage heads is the stupid rubber band. Several times just from bumping the tip on a twig or something I had to re close it and put the band back. Also the ones in the quiver would open up if you pushed them into the foam to much. So before I even drew for the shot I double checked it was good.

Sorry for the long post, my two cents, which are probably worth less than that.

By the way Martin Firecat 400, 70#, total arrow weight 387gr. No idea on speed, as I just bought a chrony four days ago.
This bow is also an accomplished giant tree rat slayer! Those g5 small game heads are awesome!

Dan
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM

We can't hunt big game with mechanicals here in Oregon, but I do use Rage for turkeys. That said, I will not trust Muzzy anymore. I shot my buck this year with them (first bow kill ever actually). 23 yards, quartering away, I misjudged where his shoulder was. Tried to slide the arrow inside of the shoulder blade and instead center punched the back edge of his shoulder blade. He spasmed and fell over, back towards me, and I sent another through his backstrap and down through his lung.

I sat there and watched him bleed out, quit breathing, and gave him a few more minutes besides. Went up to him, flipped him over, and checked out my first arrow. I grabbed it, and the damn thing fell out of his body. It penetrated all of 2 inches, and just had enough energy transfer that it shocked his spine or something to make him fall. But there was no penetration into the shoulder bone, and the broadhead bent over sideways.

Not the best pic, but you can see what happened. I wasn't impressed.

Now, I will say that the second arrow did well, as I hit nothing but meat, and it got the job done. But I was expecting the "bone crushing trocar tip" to crush bone, not be crushed by it.

That said, I'm happy as hell with the deer

Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

After cutting thousands of deer the broad head I found the most embedded in bone and healed over was the muzzy, you could not give me that broad head. I cut about a dozen deer this year that were eviscerated by the rage 2 blade and it was impressive the wound that it left! I personally shoot the Tekan and have had outstanding performance from them but for pure carnage the Rage seems to be king.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM

That is a nice looking buck congrats on a first bow kill to remember.

I have another rage update. Got a big coon on the garbage can the other night. First I hit him with two g5 small game heads. He freaked out and then slowly tried to crawl away. He was dead just didn't know it. He was next to a window in the garage otherwise I would have hit him with a rage first time.

Once he got where I could see him on the ground trying to crawl away I gave him a rage to the spine and he died in seconds. It went through the spine wiped out what was left of his important stuff and sunk into the dirt. The head deployed perfectly, was fine but bent where it screws in so I could not reuse it. In all the adrenaline he was on he managed to chew through two arrows,break them and pull them out and break the arrow that had the rage on it. Expensive coon

Should have just used a rage to begin with but didn't want to damage the window or siding.

Dan