Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!

+1 I hate rage BHs I lost 2 deer in one year shooting rages, both shots were kill shots at less than 20 yds. I switched back to muzzy and found every deer I shot after that, this year Im going to try rocket meatseekers 2" 2 blade. If I dont like the meatseekers back to muzzy I go again they fly just like my field tips when I tune them right. I saw somebody say the other day Muzzys are the Remington 870 of broadheads not much to look at but works everytime.

My set up was a Mathews DXT at 70 lbs with a CE maxima 350 29" arows with 2blade 100 grain rage neither shot was a complete pass thru like Im used to with muzzy. The first arrow just kinda flipped out of the deer when she started to run and then the other one just stuck in one side went through the off side and had about 4 inches sticking out, I watched the deer run 70 yds and stumble about 3 times while she was running. I thought to myself she wont go far, she went about another 2 months and finally I put a .223 through her head. The shot was perfect right behind the shoulder about 4 inches under the spine and off side was plenty low enough to be in the lung. I didnt find a speck of blood on either shot and both arrows had minimal blood on them. Ill never shoot a deer with rage again.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

I just started using g5 strikers and they fly just like my field points. Maybe worth a try.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

Haven't used any Rages myself, don't care if 9 in 10 animals look like they've got an axe wound channel and drop in their tracks. It's stories like this that are way to common.

Been a faithful user of Slick Trick Magnums the last four years and have had nothing but great results.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Bronze Member

I watch these guys on tv shooting the Rage.They all have one thing in common.To much arrow sticking out of the deer.NO pass throughs.I have shot the Spitfires for years and loved them.The only reason I stopped was its hard to replace the blades.My eye sight isnt as good as it use to be.I now shoot Muzzy out of my Bow Tec.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

i will be using the 100 grain rage this year (hopefully this week even) thrown out by my PSE Chaos on my ND doe, ill let you guys know how they perform.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Try the NAP killzone it's pretty much an improved rage. I've been loving them. They use the spitfire technology to hold close, so no stupid o ring or rubber band
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Try Slick Tricks. They fly well with every setup I have tried them on.

Scot E.