Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

only post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: only post

GG,
I'd love to hunt rockchucks. Sad to say I've only stopped to shoot a few on my way to somewhere else. We'll have to talk about it.

Oh yeah, scouts were great! Had a lot of great shooting / outdoor experiences too.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Bowhunting is an enormous step towards fewer people and a far more intimate experience with wildlife. You see a lot more game doing a lot more of thier natural thing. I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right On!

Another thing I noticed is that I come across more wounded animals during gun season that bow season. Opening day of firearm season is full of those let' em' fly guys.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Target shooting, hunting and reloading is my passion. Bowhunting, target/3D shooting is my greater passion. I'd hate to have to choose if I could do only one. Taking a mature bull elk or whitetail at 30 yards with a bow has no comparison. But then that just me and how I see it. This, in no way diminishes the level of enjoyment the times I lay down the bow for a firearm.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

If I could only have one weapon to hunt with it would be my Turkey Shotgun.

Nothing is better than spring turkey.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bowhunting? It's fun and I found one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Now whatdayado with it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Obviously a fenced-in hunt. You should be ashamed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

This is the experience that hooked me for life. It was in September and the general archery season came to an end. The extended season was open in the Wasatch though so before work I would hike up Millcreek and pull out the spotting scope. One day I saw some bucks on the top of a mountain. They were about 2 miles away so I couldn't really determine how big they were. The next day was Saturday. I woke up about 3 or 4 in the morning and drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon. I hiked in about 4 miles in a little over an hour and was at the top of the mountain as it was starting to get light. This was my first bowhunting season by the way. I was walking up the ridge and peaking over it about every 50 yrds or so trying to find these bucks that were on the other side the morning before. Then I see antlers sticking above the sage brush. Nice velvet antlers at that. This was the closest I had been to a deer while hunting. I see more antlers and they are moving towards me. Then I see the bodies of multiple bucks and I then realize they are going to pass right in front of me. I get set up for a 35 yard shot uphill at a 35 angle. As the deer are getting closer I see what I thought was an elk behind them all. He was much bigger and his antlers were black with white tips. I was caught out in the open and the buck in front is now looking right at me and all the deer are pilling up behind him. I drew back as the buck in front jumped out and started running. I decided to shoot. I miss.... Then the big boy shows up and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. At this point I finally realized it wasn't an elk. It had droppers and 7 or 8 points on each side. It must have been 30" wide or wider since it stuck out way past its ears on both sides. While fumbling for an another arrow he jumps out and just looks at me while standing broad side. I drew back and he turns and starts walking up hill. He stops and turns slightly towared me and takes another look, and gave me a shot that I would take now but at the time I didn't dare. It was a shot through the paunch as he was quarting away at a steep angle. I watched him walk up the hill and when he got to the top he turned around and snorted at me then disappeared forever. I looked and looked for him but never found him. After that experience I told myself that if I ever had an oportunity like that again I wasn't going to screw it up. We will see though.