Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Nudder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Nudder

I had to go to the grocery store and when I came back there was a nudder box on the front porch. This one had a pig on it too.

I got the other box with a pig on it and went to fiddleing around and sure enough they all fit together. There was a big hole in the light bracket and there was no light in the box to fit in that hole. That ole Ether Bunny is very crafty. $40 for a bracket and no light. He’ll probably want more money to bring me a box with a light in it to fit that hole. Worse yet Spot Hogg only made such a light for the five pin model so I will need to do some modification to the bracket to get it to light all seven pins. They discontinued making these brackets so I was lucky to find one.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nudder

I was right!! The Ether Bunny wanted $20 more to bring me a light to fit into the bracket. He should be careful about wanting extra money because soon I won't have money to buy groceries and will be getting hungry.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
PUBLISHER

And you'll have to go out and kill groceries.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Well, the ground is covered in snow and ice so the Ether Bunny chickened out and sent his cousin the snowshoe hare with me a small box with the light in it.

The light works very well except as mentioned previous it does not hit the #1 and #7 pins so I will need to get the dremel out, some JB Weld and a little thin sheet metal and make a few small modifications to it.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

I think I am starting to understand the method to your madness.
This is going to be the new F-Class sight for the kids, thats why it has seven pins. This might even the odds, provided you can get the Nightforce back on when they aren't looking.
Dave
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Dave
I guess you saw last months scores. Cynthia's relay got a bad wind conditions at 900 or else she would have beat me again.

I do not think any more boxes will come for a while. PSE is running their shop 24 hours a day and running the assembly line 6 days a week trying to meet the demand. Estimated backlog is anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Another box that might come in March or April is from Trophy Ridge and is not even in production yet, so I expect I will be one of the first people to try it.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Hey there fellas!

I see y'all are using lighted pins and I'm wondering if y'all have ever tried one of TruGlo's TFO (tritium) pins instead? I used to use high end sights (Extreme, Trophy Ridge, etc.) with a battery powered light to light multiple pins but I've found that using a single tritium pin on a inexpensive TruGlo or Deadnuts sight is actually FAR more effective for me. It stays perfectly lit for up to 5 years and is JUST bright enough and not TOO bright.

I'm too new to know how y'all hunt for hogs, but here in South Texas we will spot and stalk them ALL night long from the time the moon is half-full through a day or two after the full moon. We don't use any sort of flashlights or beams- nothing more than moonlight- and we can stalk within several yards of them sometimes. We never have to shoot more than about 25 yards and I've shot a lot of big (180-200 lb+) hogs as close as 10 feet. So, we've never had any use for multiple pins. For me, they just seem to get in the way of my sight picture.

How do y'all hunt for hogs? Do you stand-hunt them, spot and stalk? Are you hunting at night or in the day only?

I am shooting a Mathews DXT, currently, but I'm about to switch to the new Reazon (340 FPS IBO) and the Monster (360 FPS IBO) when it's released later this month. Luckily, I hunt with a couple of the guys on the Mathews archery team and I can trade for the bows. I love high tech bows, rests, etc. but for hog hunting I like keeping my sight simple- yet effective!

Here are some pix: