Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Muzzy mx3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Bronze Member

Muzzy mx3

Has anyone tried the new mx3 broadheads? I've used Muzzy 3 blade 100's for years with no problems. I decided to buy some new ones, so I bought the latest and greatest mx3's. They plane so bad out of my bow, your lucky to hit the target at 25 yards. Won't shoot with any arrow combination that I have. Got pissed at them and put my old broadheads back on and they shoot perfect. Anyone had this problem?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

Add spin!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Bronze Member

I tried the MX4 in my switchback, and had the same problems. I went back to the muzzy 3 blades also.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

I tried the Muzzys with the same results. I switched to the 2 blade Rage broadheads. My brother in law got one a few days ago and the hole that it punched in that deer was amazing. I have rifles that don't leave that kind of exit wound. She went less than 10 yards before piling up. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel like I missed something. I guess its the design difference with the wider blades and more surface area of the mx series. I even tried them with some 5" right helical feathers, the feathers helped but they still would not outshoot my old setup with the 3 blade 100 gr. muzzy's and broadhead vanes. Gave one to a friend of mine that said his bow and arrow combination would shoot anything, he still hasn't found that arrow.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

I lost a huge 9 point probably in the 150 class about 8yrs ago due to the crap that Muzzy sells , I was shooting a 4 blade 90gr and I made a near perfect shot on the deer. The buck was at 12-15yds broads side feeding the arrow hit in the upper 1/3 of his ribs jst behind the shoulder the exit should have been in the lower 1/4 of the off side. Total pass through with nice bright bubbly blood. I waited for almost 2 hrs for the guide to pic me up before I left the stand , we trailed the deer for 50yds with very little blood then the trail dried up. The guide asked if I had used a dull broad head and I showed him that I had just changed all the blades the night before after checking the heads I found that they were pretty dull considering what they are intended for. I called muzzy about the problem and they were like oh well , diden't even offer to replace them with good blades.

I now shoot big Rocket expandables when I can use them and Razor caps when I have to shoot fixed blades and haven't lost an animal since. The trend for getting more and more speed out of these bows had made proper bow tuning and arrow tuning very critical , the slightest out of ballance of miss alignment of your head will cause MAJOR trouble with arrow flight
Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Muzzy?

I've had nothing but great results from muzzy. Provided I point them at the right spot they perform well. Not sure about the newer broadheads. I prefer the lower angled blades like the originals. Never had a failure.

Lance