Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Most accurate, high energy, long range bow on the market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Most accurate, high energy, long range bow on the market?

[QUOTE=Scot E;566115
What is your draw and what arrows are you shooting, ie brand, model, length?

QUOTE]

I'm shooting 27.5" draw, easton axis 340 (9.5 gpi) ~27" arrows at roughly 62#s. Would prefer to shoot at 72 #s if I could get it to tune. I tried shooting the same arrows at a longer length (about 29") and the tuning got slightly better, but still not worth the justification of buying a dozen new arrows. Should I go even heavier on the arrows? What are the chances this works? The charts are calling for a 400 shaft size, but that even magnifies the tuning issues.

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

Have you tried the 400's?

Those 340's are pretty stiff for that draw and poundage.

Regards
Rog
Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

I switched to shooting the FOB's and REALLY like them. I think one of the cool side effects are that when an arrow passes through the game the fob is left behind at the point of entry. It leaves a nice initial tracking point. If you screw one up you just slip the nock replace fob and keep shooting.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
Have you tried the 400's?

Those 340's are pretty stiff for that draw and poundage.

Regards
Rog

I Haven't tried the 400s, but I did try the gold tip equivalents (I can't remember what number those were. I had tuning issues with those as well which is why i tried switching to a heavier and stiffer arrow.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Huntin Fool;566104] I get close when i drop my weight from the 72 max down below 60. I currently have a happy medium setup with 62.5 pounds. At 50 yards, my mechanicals hit dead center, 65 they are about 3 or 4 inches right and 30 yards they are about 2 inches left. I do have a level on the bow.

I bet your rest is off just a hair or 2 ( possibly literally) . And your sighted in at 50 on the center of your sight.

Put your top pin on at 20 yards. And shoot that pin ( the top one) at one high spot on the, target backing up a couple of yards each time. Every shot at the same spot on the target.

I bet by the time you get back to 50 or so yards. you will have a diagonal line of arrows across the target. If not closer. Which means your rest is off. Tweak it a bit at a time until you can get a straight vertical line of arrows.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

I have tried adjusting the rest multiple times during both bare shaft tuning and paper tear tuning. I assume this would yield the same results as the back up testing? Moving the rest can get me close to center, but the broadheads and bareshafts still continue to miss to the right the further I back out, even when I moved my rest previously. It got close, but a bareshaft never would tail less than about 3-4 inches at 20-25 yards.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Honestly I have never paper tuned anything. I eyeball it off the center of the riser initially, then start backing up from 10 yards. I usually have it dead on by the time I get to 30 yards, shooting in 3-4 yards incriments. The only broadheads I have ever had not shoot with my field points were the shuttle T locs. And the only problem I had with them is they started dropping off at 60 yards. By 70 yards I was a full pin low. Other then that I have never had any problems. Even the Muzzy 4 blade heads shoot to distance. I wont shoot any fixed blades farther then 40-50 yards if there is any wind. But other then that Everything has shot well.