Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

LR bow hunting/shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: LR bow hunting/shooting

Thats what I'm talking about guys!

meichele, nice elk. Were planning on going after one of those buggers, next year.

Wildworks, your not going to get bashed by me. My buddie and I are thinking of some pretty crazy ideas to get WAY out there. I'd be very interested in how far you've gotten and how you do it. If you dont mind, that is.

We shoot from 70-95yds everyday. My average group size right now at 95 is about 7-8 inches. The groups could be smaller but I'm using a .050 pin. It completly covers the aiming spot and then some. Might go with a 3D sight for the magnigication and smaller aimpoint. We shoot 3D quite a bit, and often shoot a second round so we can shoot them at LR using our rangefinders, the scores are pretty decent even when shooting from 70+yds away. But they can improve with an equipment change I think.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

charles

I have taken 4 mule deer at 70-90 yards and antelope @ 93 yards. the set up is just like tourny. 3D including the 3 foot easton stabilizer with side counter balance. develop your drop chart on the slide w/ laser RF
and hope for no wind! all animal where taken early morning or late afternoon and little to no wind. the main key is shoot a very heavy arrow just like LR rifle you get less wind deflection and more inportant enough energy to kill at that range!

WildWorks Outdoor TV

Away Outdoor TV.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Charles, 12 years ago I would shoot 4" baloons at 60 yards with an XI Paragon and 2314 eastons. One of my buddys would bet newcommers a beer on weather I could hit them. He drank more than he bought. My most memorable long range kill was a 153"net whitetail at 42 yards. Next Wendsday bear season opens. I waited 5 years for the tag and have been baiting for 2 months, of course, I'll be in tree with the bow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

I use a hoyt ultra tech, 71 lb draw, black gold sight - 6 pins 29.5" Beman ICS camo hunter arrows, 100 gr. NAP spitfires for big game and a judo point for grouse, p-dogs, and rabbits.

Longest kills:
28 yd antelope
36 yd p-dog
14 yard blue grouse
61 yard cotton tail
97 yard 3d whitetail (using bottom of sight ring for aim point)
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 09-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Mathews Outback Solocam
65#, Beeman ICS Hunters
75 gr Muzzy 278 fps

Longest kill 100 lb sow @ 9 ft.

This will be second season with this bow, but in East Tx, full camo in 85F weather aint fun. Mosquitos still a huge problem where I hunt, but it is still quite the challenge. Nothing like it!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

I shoot a PSE Laser bought in 1977, 70#, 50% letoff, 31" draw, fingers. When I had time to practice two to three days a week I was pretty decent with it. Longest shot was 70yd on a spike whitetail buck- right through the gizzard. Ran 10 yds fell over dead.

Several in the deer in 50-60 yd range.

Don't have the time to practice enough to make that kind of a shot now.

The new PSE Primos with the long brace height and long draw lenght might get me to retire my 28 year old bow.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

I shoot a Hoyt MT Sport at 65-70#. Beman ICS Hunter arrows with a Thunderhead 125.

While this is great and all that some of you are very accurate at long range and practice often I must warn you it's not all it's cracked up to be. I figured that I would push my limits this year with my bow to 60 yards. I shot 5 arrows the evening before bow season opened at 60 yards and wound up with a 2 inch group! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] However, come opening morning I got a nice shot on a 4 pointer (10 for all you easterners) at 51 yards. There was some grass between me and him so I had to range his head. The arrow cleared the grass just fine but I saw it going high and then THAAAAA WACK! it hit the spine and just stopped. The buck flinched and then walked off almost un phased by the impact. I never found that buck nor a blood trail to follow. I simply got a bad rangefinder reading. So two days later I found another 4 pointer (8 for you easterners) he was at 43 yards. I drew back and let the arrow go once again. While the arrow was in mid flight I saw the but end of the buck drop and his chest moved up as he tried spin around to run back to the trail he had come from. About that time the arrow got there and busted his far leg. I never found a blood trail or the animal.

I guess I just used this as a word of caution that there is just too man variables to consistently kill bucks with a bow at long range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry to get all ethical on you guys. Just something to remember. And I hope like Heck that it never happens to any of you. Those were the 2 biggest bucks I have ever shot at and I wound up killing them both and never found em. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And that was with what I figured to be Ethical shots. Just imagine what can happen when you try to shoot the LOOOONG one.