Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

longbow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

longbow

just got this bow going to try and shoot a hog first chance i can get out to the ranch.I've killed them with my compound this will be my first time hunting with a longbow any advice would be appreciated this is a bobcat i shot this year this is not the one mounted my son shot that one with his 22 single shot at about 5 paces one in pic is at the taxidemist
Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: longbow

if your not framiliar with shooting the stick bows you need to practice , its alot differant shooting instinctive than with sites. I personaly "snap" shoot my stick meaning that as soon as it comes to full draw the arrow is released. I also shoot a very heavy long bow (119lbs at 31") so holding it for any length of time is not an option.
But the big thing is practice practice practice.

Are you shooting wood , aluminum or carbon? I rather real feathers over any type of vane as I shoot off the shelf of the bow and they are fletchwith a strong left heilical to hep straten out the arrow as soon as possible.
Also with the stick bows shooting so much slower that the compounds your gonna want a heavy arrow.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

this bow is 56# at 28 i've been practicing as you described draw and releasing right away. I can keep them in an 8-10 inch circle at 15yards right now i deffinitly want to get better than that i can do that at 60 with my compound. I'm shooting cedar arrows with real feathers 125 gr broadheads you must have really good upper body strenght to shoot 119#.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

Shooting base bow is all about form, form, FORM!!!

I shot competitively and hunted for years with fixed pins and fingers...so I already had the finger shooting part down pretty good. In January I took up shooting a stick to make archery fun again...it had turned into work with all the comp's. I've worked up to being about to easily hit a half gallon jug at 25yards.

Learn your form and after that it's just hand/eye coordination. A good way to do this is stand FEET from the target and shoot with your eyes closed...concentrate on hand placement on the grip, then feel the string on your fingers, smooth draw, hit your anchor point, release and follow through. You'll never feel most of this with your eyes open.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to make sure that the spine on your arrows is correct also , I'm not to sure why but the incorrect spine on your shafts with a long bow seems to affect accuracy more than with a compound. I have converted to shooting a realy heavy carbon arrow , they are alot straiter and stiffer.

As for the upper body strength , I'm a pretty big boy that competes in powerlifting and body building but I have to tell ya I train with some guys that are as strong as me but can't even come close to drawing an 80lb longbow. Their are muscles in your back and upper shoulder than simply can't workout unless your drawing a bow ,I've even had judges mention that they can see a differance in my right upper back and shoulder.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
.......can't even come close to drawing an 80lb longbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny! I was 14yrs old and shooting co-op for Hoyt USA...my competition bow was 76#! Hunting bow was 82#! Granted they were compounds....but I was 14! It was a hoot to see grown men try to pull a bow that belonged to a "kid".
Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

My younger brother and I started shooting compounds about the same time. He's 6 years younger and at that time alot stronger than me. I use to bench about 130 back then about 3yrs ago. My brother could bench 230 but he had a hard time drawing his bow till he developed the other muscles needed for it anyway i've been working out the last yr and can bench 255 now not bad for weighting 180 and fixing to turn 44