Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Long-range Prairie Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Long-range Prairie Dogs

Guys, i've been out of archery for awhile and have a "newbie to carbons" question. I have an older model Mathews Z-Max that pulls 54 lbs. I was shooting PD's with Gamegetter arrows a number of years ago. I am going to try the cheaper Wolverine carbons that i bought at Wal-Mart a couple days ago to try and stretch my range a bit. I know it's a cheap arrow, but i'm trying to keep cost down especially when this kind of volume shooting may contribute to a lot of lost arrows.

Has anyone tried the cheaper Wal-Mart carbons for varmints and such?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long-range Prairie Dogs

Cant help with the cheap wallyworld arrows but it really helps to put spring game points on! That way the arrows tumble and are a lot easier to find. We've actualy found that its easier to hit the little devils past 45 yards as they tend to duck the string only to pop back up to the arrow

Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Hey M5, do u mean the Judo points??

I used to use metal blunt tips on my old GG's. I always thought that they would hit with more authority than a field point. I thought about doing the same with the carbons, but can't find any that r smaller in diameter. So i thought i'd try just using a flat-head or round screw head that's the right size to fit the same shaft diameter. What do u think of that idea?

Oh, nice pics, BTW.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Ya Judo points, I dont know didly about archery myself but I hunt with with a pro LOL Thats my favorite hunting buddy in the pics, he is a big string and stick fan. I used to buy his old equip when he upgraded just to extend the seasons a little.
I was amazed at what it took to get a good kill on a prairie dog though....seams if we did not pin them to the back of the mound they would get down the holes every time.....Kinda like shooting streekies with the blowgun.