Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Long range bow hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

For my fellow long range bowhunters, I thought I'd list some of my favorite things for reaching out with the sticks...

1. TAP - The Archery Program.
Great program to use with an adjustable sight. Started using it with a single pin Mantis form Trophy Ridge. You take some measurements, chrono your bow (single or offset velocity), put it into your computer. Then you print out the sight tape and dial in single yard increments out to your range. Single velocity is good out to about 70+ yards and offset velocity even further, but I can only go a bit past 70 at my house. Its like dialing in your turrets on a scope.

2. HHA Sight. Awesome sight with 5 ft of fiber optics so low light is hardly a problem. They also make a lens kit with 2, 4, or 6x magnification. I use a 2x with mine. I use the single pin after switching from th trophy ridge. The windage has audible 1/8" clicks. Really a kick butt sight.

3. Limbdriver Rest - a dropaway rest that uses the limb for timing. Idiot proof.

4. FOB - stands for "Fletched only Better"
It replaces the vanes with a round disc that is actually an aerofoil. It pops off when you hit an animal so you can start tracking without worry of where the animal was standing. They make arrows fly super straight.
The downside is that you must have a drop away rest and shooting groups is a challenge because the arrows will hit the FOBs in the target. The solution is to put a cheap walmart target in front of your good target so the arrows pass thru the cheap target and pop the FOB's off.

I KNOW it sounds like a gimmick, but they are the real deal. Lots of serious bowhunters are using them. Check out archerytalk.com and see the reviews.
The guy who invented them designed missles for a defense company.

5. Victory Arrows - New company, great arrows.

6. BuckNasty strings - this guy makes awesome strings. About a 10fps increase over factory strings. Sorry I don't have his info, but it can be found on the archery talk sight.

Hope some of this is useful to some of you.

Anybody else have anything to share, I always love to hear about it.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Kaveman

The two blade will actually go father because of reduced drag
and penetrate better than a punch point, But tends to wind plane
under poor conditions (very windy)

If you can eliminate this problem then it is better on large,tough
game like elk and hogs.

My favorite shot on deer is right through both front sholders, this
takes heavy arrows but the deer cant seem to run and I see him
fall (no tracking).

On elk a two blade cut on impact works great and passes completly
through if placed correctly.

And as far as the bow anything that will improve speed and accuracy
is good.

And not to stir up more controversy but I found that a full helical
feather flech went farther because it stabilized the fastest and
passes through the rest with less effort.

So a drop away rest should be even better.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM
Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Aroshtr

This forum is a strange place that operates on the positive attitude basis and we all see things we do not approve of and sometimes we even do them ourselves and wish later we hadn't. And in the end you are right about the need for practice.

Jim
Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

41 yard elk. Double lung, pass thru. The arrow went thru so fast, I never found it. Can you say Kinetic Energy!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

Aroshtr

I agree 100% with everything you have stated.
I will not shoot my Bow over 40 yds.
I practice all the way to 50 and can shoot a 6" group at 50.
But my 50 yd pin comes off before the season.
Bowhunting and longrange should not be in the same sentence.
I have hunted for 15 years and have not wounded anything yet and I dont plan on it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, I am TERRIBLE with a bow, but I saw Ted Nugent shoot an elk at something like 25 yards with a recurve, no sights, then it ran out to 70-something and he dropped one right in there with the other arrow. Excellent instinctive aiming.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Bronze Member

Practice

72 yards Whitetail doe. I practice year round out to 120 yards on a glendale full rut buck. 5-8" at 100 yards every time. Wind rain snow practice practice. Mathews switchback LD 70# carbon express maxima hunter 350 weight forward arrows with blazer vanes,G5 montec 100 grn brodheads and bushnell 1500 arc rangefinder. You have to no when its ethicall to shoot longrange I would not shoot a deer at 30 yards if it whas aleart and looking at me but would have no problem shooting 80-100 yards on a feeding or beded animal.
If you practice regularly at 100 yards, a 60-yard shot will seem simple.
You should be fully confident in making the shot once its presented. Here's a quote from Dan Evans
I practice regularly from 120 to 150 yards, Dan Evans, inventor of the Trophy Taker rest and long-range shooter extraordinaire.
Evans has a 180-yard range behind his shop along with 3-D animals. I like to shoot at long range because it forces me to
focus, he continues. If you make a mistake at 100 yards, you miss the whole bale. The follow-through is critical. Even at long
distances, you must keep your form until the arrow hits the target. Puting an arrow in the bull at that distance builds confidence,
especially when you get a 40-yard shot. Very good artical on long range shooting at the trophy taker web site called-
Set Up for Extreme Accuracy. The problem is a guy or gal starts practicing a week before deer season and you end up with animals running around with an arrow sticking out of it. A animal wounded with a rifle at a 1000 yards or 100 yards with a bow is still a wounded animal. You should be fully confident in making the shot. practice