Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Long range bow hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
just to clear things up im not pushing my ethics on anyone im just saying only shoot what your abilities are cappable of and only yours if your buddy hunting with u can shoot 70 yrds doesnt mean u can get my drift there are hunters out there that will do that just cause there pal can think twice before u do and do what u feel comfortable with thats how i use the term ethics
Just to clear things up, I didn't appreciate you preaching at me the first time and I do not appreciate it the second time. If you do not have the backbone to stand up and apologize for preaching to all of us unwashed heathens because you are some superior being sent by God to inform us of when and how we should shoot, then that is up to you.

And just so you know how little I am impressed with your skill, I had already made a 70 yard kill before you even took up the sport.

You can go to the original thread and see that ones beliefs can be handled without acting like you are some morally superior being.

And as far as the other guy who some how thinks that some one who shoots at long range is a liar and covering up wounding, all I got to say is both of you seem to believe you are missionaries sent straight from St Peter to save all of us pagans from heathenism and that we should turn this into the Get Closer Short Range forum.

The two of you have really managed to screw up a good thread with all of your preaching.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

BB Ive been watching this forum for a little while now
and am starting to get a feel for some of you guys.
Your post in my topic did not bother me a bit
and you may in the futher get a little dung on your face from me
but know it is all in fun.
I have taken about a dozen critters with my bow.
All at 30yds or less because that is where I am GOOD.
Mike
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

I'll just admit it I am unethical, I took my doe this year at 81 yards. She was standing at 110 yards so I waited until just before dark and she got 81 yards away standing broadside. I think the pie plate theory works great I new I could make the shot so I took it. The arrow went through her like a knife through butter, She jumped about 5 foot high and went to the ground. I think you guys should not be telling people what you think is unethical because its not the way you hunt. One mans trash is another mans gold. We are here for fun, learning, and long range hunting, Buffalo Bob has been on here helping people (me) for a long time so you would be wise to listen to him and take his advise.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

If you took what I said as him being unethical than you took me all wrong.
I only stated that I shoot out to 30 yards because I can do that with a piece of mind.
I am just starting to know and learn from you guys and I have learned that Bob will whip the dog crap out of anyone because he likes to...
And I am not worried about that and said I will jab right back at him if
I have the chance.
Each and everyone of you know your limitations (or should) and I know mine.
30yards with a bow and 300 with a rifle.
That is why I am here...
Happy Hunting,
Mike
Old 12-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Lazylabs,

Sorry, it's been a while. Unfortunately I don't remember what my friend shoots. It's one of the faster bows for last year. I think he was telling me 320something. He rests his stabilizer on steady stix, and carries them always. He regularly shoots to 120-30. He told me of a muley he took at 100 and some change.

My personal rig is a switchback. I have room for seven pins. So, I shoot to ninety. This is without stix. I have tried the stix, and they certainly work. However, I don't use them while hunting.

Give it a try. My friend looks at bows like some look at rifles. His rigs are purpose built for long range. And he hunts accordingly. There's always folks who say things shouldn't / couldn't be done. There's always other folks who figure out how to do it.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

30 yards with 40lb recurve shooting 2016's with 160 grain Woodsman,,those arrows drop like a rock,,,but they sure do kill good!! Light bow,,heavy arrows,,,don't have too good of a trajectory!! But I ALWAYS hit what I aim at, and it dies real quick!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Larry Weir, 1995-1996 IBO world champion, shot a bull elk at 108 yards back in 2000. Have heard of others out to 110 on elk. I personally have shot ferrel hogs at 80, 68 and 59.