Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Long range arrows???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Long range arrows???

What makes a good long range arrow? I know ACC's are awesome but I'm thinking for the money I might be better off getting more arrows for the money. I want to try pushing my limits to see how far I can reach accurately. I figure I might burn through a few arrows while pushing those limits so would I be better off getting cheaper arrows or do you give up accuracy by doing that. Is a shorter arrow stiffer and more accurate than a longer one. I know shorter equals more speed but would there be any benefit to making my shafts any longer than needed. I have an archery antelope tag so I'm trying to prepare the best I can. My idea is to practice farther than I will be hunting at.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range arrows???

I do not know the answers to any of the questions you asked so I will instead tell you the answers to the questions you did not ask.

Total weight is good at long range to ensure adequate penetration.

Fletching is a trade off situation where you need stability and you need to retain speed. A marginally stable arrow becomes erratic in winds. So you have get enough stability at the cost of losing speed to get accuracy in windy conditions.

As both Len and I found out changes in atmospheric density will affect your arrow flight so if you have all your pins zeroed and set while practicing at sea level you will have to reset them at elevation.

Make sure you have a good FOC.

To reach long range you need to carefully select your sight so you can get a lot of pins in it.

As far as extra length I would believe you are negating the effect of high spine so I would just use the length that you need in a high spine arrow.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the reply, I guess I left a lot out. I already have chosen to go with a 4'' RH helicle and will dive into the broadhead debate later. This post was more directed at the shafts themselves and if I should get the most expensive and only get a dozen or get 2 dozen cheaper arrows. I'll make sure to have a 12%-15% FOC but just wondering if someone could explain the science behind the shafts. I have heard some prefer alluminum shafts for long range. Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

I'm no eggspurt, but recently I switched from cabon express arrows to easton fmj arrows and I am loving the performance. I got a killer deal on 2 dozen raw shafts and picked up a dozen of those FOB's to try side by side with traditional fletching. I've been lazy and only using the FOB's right now, but with the heavier arrow I'm definately putting arrows deeper into my block style target at 50 and 60. I am hoping to get my other dozen fletched and find a windy day to see if there are really any wind bennifits to the different fletching. I have been practicing with my magnus bullheads and feel confident out to 50 with them so the turkeys better lookout in May
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

The thing I found with arrows is that at long range I don't break or damage very many but the loss rate is very high because of the speed of the new bows and heavy arrows just keep on going after deflecting. Elk hunting up on the Manti when I was practicing at ranges of 80 yards, if I missed the target an arrow could go 100 yards and then you spend lots of time trying to find a $10-15 arrow.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Join the NFAA and start attending shoots and learn how to shoot correctly. Archery is no different than firearm hunting, as far as figuring out what equipment combinations are correct. There is no blanket answer. Draw weight, draw length, cam type, and on and on.

Anybody spending time hunting for arrows on the practice range needs to significantly shorten their perceived hunting distance.

Arrows and bones do not get along. The margin for error is significantly less than it is with a rifle. Just because a person can hit a target does not mean they are within effective hunting range.

It's a stick with a sharp point on it, don't forget the fact that it is a primitive weapon. No matter how technically advanced they get.

All I am saying is that a person needs to be careful for the sake of the game that is being hunted.

Steve
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
Join the NFAA and start attending shoots and learn how to shoot correctly. Archery is no different than firearm hunting, as far as figuring out what equipment combinations are correct. There is no blanket answer. Draw weight, draw length, cam type, and on and on.

Anybody spending time hunting for arrows on the practice range needs to significantly shorten their perceived hunting distance.

Arrows and bones do not get along. The margin for error is significantly less than it is with a rifle. Just because a person can hit a target does not mean they are within effective hunting range.

It's a stick with a sharp point on it, don't forget the fact that it is a primitive weapon. No matter how technically advanced they get.

All I am saying is that a person needs to be careful for the sake of the game that is being hunted.

Steve
I couldn't agree more. I deeply respect the animals I hunt. I would like to push my range on the practice field to make me more consistant in the hunting field. It may take loosing a few arrows to learn something but the animals will benefit from it as will I.