Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bowhunting

Long Bow suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Long Bow suggestion

I've always wanted a nice custom long bow and this year I'm looking at getting one. I shoot a nice hoyt compound and pulling back 70lbs isn't a problem for me. I'm 5'8" and I've got about a 27" draw. I've been looking at Black Widow bows. Any suggestions on weight and length and manufacture would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Bow suggestion

While I'm only a passable longbow hunter, my Father is a passionate traditional hunter taking deer, rabbit and pheasant, or at least he loves to try for pheasant! I grew up watching him and Ron Leclair hunt every now and then.

Anyhow, I can give you a PM and get you his email or phone number if you want to chat one on one. He's not too savvy over the internet, but he's very personable and loves to help people find the right mix/match for them. He lives in Michigan and he's up on the latest and greatest as well as what's available used but not available (collector's items and out of production items).

He's also got a good selection of Howard Hill literature and videos...I always end up practicing more when I borrow one from him.

He is mainly a longbow guy, but has several types of other bows--latest is a mogolian horsebow hybrid...very cool.

Anyhow, if you're game I can get you his info.

Matt Roth
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Cruizin,
Get a current Traditional Bowhunter Mag, Primtive archer mag and read up.Call Matt's dad for sure, shooting a long bow is different from the compound there is no let off while you are holding it,coarse you know that . I started off with a Martin Longbow, it will kill deer and they won't know the difference between being shot by a $1000 bow! But if you Must spend the money and don't mind the time to get one ,look at Ron La Clair's Shrew longbows.Dick Robertson out of Mt. makes quality bows. Check out 3 rivers archery supply, they have bows ,books and dvd's.
Read all you can, see if there is traditional club near by maybe someone will let you try one out before you invest in something you won't like to shoot!
LOL, Jimmie
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

This is great advice and I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll start by going to the range and talking to some folks first to get a better idea of what I want.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

My hunting buddy was state overall recurve champ last year, he has shot Shafer silver tip bows for years. Iam a novice with the recurve but have one of his old bows, they are really smooth and liitle vibration compared to others I have tried, including Black Widow. He has several variations of long bows, a take down with various limbs, one that breaks in middle on a hinge, and traditional one piece. They and the recurves are pieces of art but ultimately functional. Check him out at Shafer Silvertip Bows
Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Trad Gang.com

go here and look in their classifieds. All the traditional bows and experts you want.

Ron LaClairs shrew bows are really great and fun to shoot.

BH
Old 05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

I'm very happy with my BW. It's 62" 54#. There are times I'd like a little shorter bow in the woods......but you can't beat the BW for having virtually zero hand shock. I love the way it feels when I shoot it. The only other bow I've ever tried that felt similar was a Bob Lee. AFAIC they are all over priced now days though.

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.